DIY Record Cleaner Machine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built this DIY record cleaning machine about 6 months ago. Total cost was well under $50. The most expensive parts were two VPI brushes at $9.99 each.

The cabinet is 14 gauge steel from an old pressure washer cabinet. I cut and welded the steel to 15" long x 10" wide x 9" high. There's a removable panel on the back for access, and vents on the right side for efficient airflow. The inner left side is reinforced with angle iron to support the vacuum motor. Finished in glossy black Rustoleum.

The 10" brass-plated steel platter and its support were cannibilized from an old Victrola player my brother gave me. The platter was polished and finished with clear acrylic paint.

The vacuum motor was pulled from an upright model bought for $5 at the local thrift. I had to fabricate a heavy steel plate with a hole which slips over the outside of the motor. The plate was drilled and tapped for 3/8x24 thread and four long bolts pass through the left side of the cabinet and into the plate. When tight, they pull the motor against the inner cabinet. A little silicone caulk provided a perfect seal. The outer vacuum tube is made from common PVC plastic from the hardware store. Black velvet strips protect the record surface.

The clamp is a piece of 1/2" steel plate. There's a circular gasket (from old truck innertube) glued onto the lower surface, for good grip on record lables. I welded a short piece of a 1/4" bolt onto the original spindle, and ground teh weld smooth. The large castle nut is from a Willys shackle bolt and there's a 1/4x20 nut welded inside it. The castle nut is large enough easily hand-tighten the clamp.

The record cleaning solution is also homemade:
2 parts distilled water
1 part 91% Isopropyl Alchohol
A few drops Photoflo

The machine works great and makes a noticeable difference on playback.

I'm new here so I'm hoping this image attachment works.

Attachments

• dcp_0760a.jpg
    dcp_0760a.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 2,533
Cleaning:

A small puddle of Record Cleaning Solution is placed on the record. Using the brush (held in my left hand) the record is vigorously scrubbed, working the brush deep into the grooves as the record is rotated back and forth with my right hand.

Then distilled water is placed on the record and the process repeated.

Then the vacuum wand is swung over and onto the record with the vacuum sucking all fluid and dirt off the disc.

The record is now totally dry and clean, ready for play. All cleaned records go into new plastic innersleeves.

Attachments

• dcp_0770a.jpg
    dcp_0770a.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 2,045
Detail of vacuum wand. These common plumbing parts were shaped with a file to create a flat, smooth surface to ride on the record's surface. A Dremel tool with cutter was used to form the slot. Black velvet is glued next to the slot, to prevent scratching of the record.

I hope my machine has given some vinyl lovers a few ideas. It cost less than $50 (materials) to make and does a first-class job, giving results that you'd expect from a $500 to $2,000 commercially available machine.

Attachments

• dcp_0776a.jpg
    dcp_0776a.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,599
Good morning Engineer & SY,

I used contact cement to glue the black velvet onto the PVC tube initially, but it was not secure and loosened after cleaning about 100 LPs. So I then used 5 minute epoxy with much better results.

Details on the suction tube assembly.... Yes, the sketch you posted is correct SY. The end cap was filed flat on the underside, prior to attaching the black velvet.

The tube bolted to the cabinet is 1 1/2" PVC. The upper 'swinging elbow' portion is made from 1 1/4" pipe. The smaller pipe fits loosely into the larger pipe. A few wraps of black electrical tape around the smaller pipe made a better fit, reducing air leakage through this area while still allowing easy swing rotation.

The swinging elbow must be held in position with the left hand while the right hand rotates the record. I considered welding on a stop bracket to hold the swinging elbow in place (over the record), but it's an easy procedure without it.

I also considered adding a motor to drive the platter, automated spay dispensers for the cleaning fluid & distilled water, etc.... but the machine is so easy to use and effective without automation, so I never bothered.

I've used the machine to clean about 1,500 used LPs and I can't believe what a difference it makes in sound quality. This type of machine is essential for any serious vinyl lover.

If you have a suitable motor to hand it makes life easier. I made a manual one first, then a motor driven one. You need to have your platter turning at 18rpm or thereabouts.

I used electrical conduit for my wand 3/4" with an elbow for same. I just used a dremel tool to cut a slot up along the bottom and then used contact cement to put on some velvet. The brush type draught excluder makes a good brush for wet brushing the surface. A second wand is convenient here.

Also I would recommend that you make a puck to sit on top of the record. Screw down is most effective otherwise the record will tend to slip when turning. Use an o-ring on the outer edge - it really helps stop any fluid getting onto the label.

Its really the only way to clean IMHO. You won't get every LP clean, some still crackle but it makes wuite a difference on most.

They say that the crackles are actually due to bacteria and moulds that live down in the groove (initially brought in by handling) so I often wondered if on those difficult to clean records if I idid a pre-soak with some of the enzymatic cleaners first follwed by the 75%H2O/25%IPA/wetting agent would it help on the ones that don't clean normally. I make my own cleaner I ahve access to high purity water and IPA and then add some rinse aid as a wetting agent. It works very well but I do wonder about teh enzyamtic ones.

Has anyone experience of these and how good they are?

Fran

I don't believe that deep-seated molds are causing the 'crackle and pop'. IMO, it's scratches or defects in the vinyl or low quality vinyl.

I bought a few dozen water damaged LPs from a local thrift shop thee months ago. Some were desireable/rare titles and I bought them at $0.10 each, so it was worth taking a chance. The covers were trashed and the vinyl was covered in black, white, and green mold. The vinyl cleaned up beautifully on my DIY record cleaning machine, with no trace of mold remaining. No extra effort was required. The standard cleaning procedure did the job.

I just can't justify adding a motor to drive the platter. I actually prefer the manual aspect of cleaning records. I can vary disc rotation speed as required, go forward and reverse, etc... I've cleaned over 1,500 records so far and can't see that a motor would make it any easier.

cactuscowboy: have to admit that forward and reverse would be useful alright. I had the motor so that made the choice easier.

on molds and bacteria - I did a lot of reading when I was deciding what cleaning fluid to use and at that time c.1 yr ago, that was what the concensus was. I don't have any links etc for the evidence now. Of course damaged vinyl will also give the noise, but IMHO, surface scratches often don't matter wrt noise. You can get perfectly clean LPs and they are noisy as hell. Some that have a haze of light scratches across the surface and they are dead silent.

Its not black and white (should have said that) but on the whole wet/vacuum cleaning is the most effective. again, IMHO. but I think we agree on that anyway!

Fran

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I just can't justify adding a motor to drive the platter. I actually prefer the manual aspect of cleaning records. I can vary disc rotation speed as required, go forward and reverse, etc... I've cleaned over 1,500 records so far and can't see that a motor would make it any easier.

I absolutely agree with you, cactuscowboy, motor is not neccassary, I have this machine
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NGRD3
no motor either, works perfectly (I obtained it as demo for less than $100, excelent investment)

the reason why I am showing it is for inspiration to those who will built record cleaning machine
in my opinion you do not need the hose on top, it seems easier to have it stationary on the bottom
plus when you are rotating the record, you sligtly press down, which helps the suction if the opening is underneath

LP is alive!
ed

To dispense the liquid over the surface:

Get a big syringe eg 60mL and fit a pipe over the nozzle. Use a hot pin to put small holes to allow the fluid out of the LP surface. Then just pump the syringe to allow the fluid out evenly over the surface.

Again, like the motor , not necessary but an idea anyway!

Fran

I am trying to make my own record cleaner but am having problem with velvet. I bought some stuff at Michael's but when I cut it just shreds, and it doesn't tear easily. Did I get the wrong kind?

What material should the velvet be made of? I saw nylon, acetate, and cotton blend.

I had that same problem with the micro suede but the lady who cut and gave it to me seemed to have no trouble. I think it's just hard to cut and you need very sharp scissors.

Good job on the machine! This is just like mine you even have the same bottles.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.