DIY Record Cleaner Machine - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2007, 07:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Record Cleaner Machine

I built this DIY record cleaning machine about 6 months ago. Total cost was well under $50. The most expensive parts were two VPI brushes at $9.99 each.

The cabinet is 14 gauge steel from an old pressure washer cabinet. I cut and welded the steel to 15" long x 10" wide x 9" high. There's a removable panel on the back for access, and vents on the right side for efficient airflow. The inner left side is reinforced with angle iron to support the vacuum motor. Finished in glossy black Rustoleum.

The 10" brass-plated steel platter and its support were cannibilized from an old Victrola player my brother gave me. The platter was polished and finished with clear acrylic paint.

The vacuum motor was pulled from an upright model bought for $5 at the local thrift. I had to fabricate a heavy steel plate with a hole which slips over the outside of the motor. The plate was drilled and tapped for 3/8x24 thread and four long bolts pass through the left side of the cabinet and into the plate. When tight, they pull the motor against the inner cabinet. A little silicone caulk provided a perfect seal. The outer vacuum tube is made from common PVC plastic from the hardware store. Black velvet strips protect the record surface.

The clamp is a piece of 1/2" steel plate. There's a circular gasket (from old truck innertube) glued onto the lower surface, for good grip on record lables. I welded a short piece of a 1/4" bolt onto the original spindle, and ground teh weld smooth. The large castle nut is from a Willys shackle bolt and there's a 1/4x20 nut welded inside it. The castle nut is large enough easily hand-tighten the clamp.

The record cleaning solution is also homemade:
2 parts distilled water
1 part 91% Isopropyl Alchohol
A few drops Photoflo

The machine works great and makes a noticeable difference on playback.

I'm new here so I'm hoping this image attachment works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0760a.jpg (14.0 KB, 2318 views)
Old 17th February 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's a detail of the vacuum tubing. Made from common PVC plumbing parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0764a.jpg (9.2 KB, 1948 views)
Old 17th February 2007, 03:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Disney picture disc on machine. At this point, I'll wipe the label and trail-out portion of the record clean with a paper towel moistened with Windex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0767a.jpg (14.8 KB, 1901 views)
Old 17th February 2007, 03:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's the clamp, used to securely hold the record in place. The wooden knob was scavenged from the junked Victrola.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0774a.jpg (12.1 KB, 1889 views)
Old 17th February 2007, 03:39 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cleaning:

A small puddle of Record Cleaning Solution is placed on the record. Using the brush (held in my left hand) the record is vigorously scrubbed, working the brush deep into the grooves as the record is rotated back and forth with my right hand.

Then distilled water is placed on the record and the process repeated.

Then the vacuum wand is swung over and onto the record with the vacuum sucking all fluid and dirt off the disc.

The record is now totally dry and clean, ready for play. All cleaned records go into new plastic innersleeves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0770a.jpg (14.1 KB, 1854 views)
Old 17th February 2007, 03:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Homemade Record Cleaning Solution, Distilled Water, and VPI record cleaning brushes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0772a.jpg (8.7 KB, 1216 views)
Old 17th February 2007, 03:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Detail of vacuum wand. These common plumbing parts were shaped with a file to create a flat, smooth surface to ride on the record's surface. A Dremel tool with cutter was used to form the slot. Black velvet is glued next to the slot, to prevent scratching of the record.

I hope my machine has given some vinyl lovers a few ideas. It cost less than $50 (materials) to make and does a first-class job, giving results that you'd expect from a $500 to $2,000 commercially available machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_0776a.jpg (13.0 KB, 1500 views)
Old 17th February 2007, 04:03 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Fabulous. This looks easy and very, very cheap.

How thick is the velvet (roughly)?
Old 17th February 2007, 04:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The black velvet is about 1/8" thick? It's just the standard material from a fabric store. I've never had an issue with the machine marking or damaging records. After cleaning about 500 LPs the velvet shows wear, so I replace it.
Old 18th February 2007, 09:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Brilliant!
I think we can all agree it definetely sucks

What did you use to glue velvet stripes to the sucking hose?

Hide this!Advertise here!