DECCA unipivot tonearm - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2003, 12:01 PM   #1
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default DECCA unipivot tonearm

Just bought the Decca unipivot tonearm as a collectors item. It's brand new and with all the papers and stuff. I paid about 25 US dollar. Was this price ok you think? I haven't found very much info on the arm but maybe you guys can tell me more, like what type of cartridge fits , or used to fit this arm and does it sound anyway?

I will test it soon in my TD160 and let you know my experiences...
Old 8th January 2003, 01:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Senior Member

Default DECCA.

Hi,

I have no idea what it sounds like but usually one off Deccas' own cartridges was fitted.

Decca London,Blue,Maroon etc.

25$ seems OK to me for an arm like this.

At the time it was often fitted to the Garrard TTs.

Cheers,
Old 8th January 2003, 01:18 PM   #3
peterr is offline peterr  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

http://www.hifi-planet.com/decca_international.htm
http://www.walrus.co.uk/vinyl/decca.htm
Old 8th January 2003, 03:35 PM   #4
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Peterr, that's just the one...

I bought the AH! arm and as I was curious what effect it would have in comparison with the TP16-I. I have not yet collected it in Beek, but that's onely a matter of time.

the manual is pretty usefull though...
Old 1st February 2003, 06:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Decca arm

I, too, bought one last summer. I was having certain difficulties with the implementation (no arm lift) so I didn't get much time on it. I solved the lift problem recently with an Ortofon item of similar vintage and am now ready for bear.

I have a rebuilt Decca Maroon on it and for the little time that I did get on it, there was remarkable promise. The arm looks to be cheesy, almost mickey mouse, but a great deal of thought went into the design if not implementation. Coupled to Decca carts, it's likely to be something.

Peter C
Old 1st February 2003, 06:56 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Oh, nostalgia! Back in the day, I had one armed with a Decca 4RC. Great combo, but to make it fit on my AR table, I had to take the bottom off the table and put it on stilts. I successfully used a Shure (probably the V15III or IIIG), too. Had bad luck with Grados; they never seemed to track well at low frequencies, for whatever reason.

At 25 clams, you should be happy.
Old 1st February 2003, 07:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Decca arm

Since I had made a small commitment to Decca cartridges (to see what the talk was about) I figgered I needed to see what Decca Special Products had in mind when they did all this, hence the arm. I don't particularly like unipivots, this one included, but I'll suffer if it gives me what I want.

Peter C
Old 1st February 2003, 07:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Default DECCA.

Hi,

To control a Decca cart you really need a very,very well behaved unipivot or the cart will throw itself out of the grooves,or, at best audibly mistrack.

The arm I once had that mastered this with great control and of course amazing dynamic range was a British design by Tom Fletcher from Nottingham Analogue.

He designed for Glen Croft (of Croft Acoustics) and it was marketed as the Omega Point.

I'm sure Toms' latest designs can handle a Decca with aplomb too.

Cheers,
Old 1st February 2003, 09:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm using a Decca International currently on a Technics SL120 Direct Drive.

The arm came to me with the detachable headhsell damaged so I had to mod mine into a fixed headhsell. Otherwise it's pretty much stock but with some newer arm leads coming out of the pillar.

Current cartridge is an Ortofon MC20 Supreme.

This TT/ARM/Cart combo is astounding for it's speed, PRAT, and revalation of musical counterpoint/musicianship. I'm hearing alot more detail than I did with the heavy arm that used to be on my TT or the ACT-1 tomearm I had before.

This Arm BOOGIES. I'm tapping my feet like a mid 80's Linn Dealer! (Never thought that would be a good thing but times change huh?)

If I had to pick downpoints in the arm I'd say low bass and I think there's a bit of treble colouration there as well.

My tt experience is not extensive, haven't heard loads of decks so I can't give a wide ranging assessment sorry. As i say, due to the mods I've performed my arm may well not be typical.

If it is typical then I say the 25 euro is a steal. For the money there's nothing to touch it.

Gotta go to work now :-( but as soon as I'm home I'm sitting down with Oscar, Ray and Ed to listen to "Night Train" again and drink some nice Australian red wine.

Till then

drew

PS, love the tonearm. But my wife hates the lack of an arm lift
Old 1st February 2003, 10:03 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Decca arm

Quote:
Originally posted by reverendclark
no arm lift
My kind of arm

Arm lifts are something i just never use... and cost me much time when i worked at the hifi store when someone used the lift and i couldn't figure out why i wasn't getting any sound

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!