DECCA unipivot tonearm - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2003, 09:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Decca

Arm lift: One thing I don't like about unipivots is the twist you get with the arm when you use the finger lift. I gotta believe its rough on the stylus to be abused that way. Hence waiting until a suitable arm lift swam past to solve that problem for the International.

I've got the International and I'm doing up an SME 3009 Ser. II Imp. for the Gold I have. I figgered that it would take a heavier counterwieght (not by much, but I suspect adjustability is key here) and bias weight. Also, while I was about it I got some headshell weights to be able to raise the effective mass of the arm. I wouldn't have gone to all this trouble, but this is the only SME that can conveniently be wired directly from the cart to the phono stage and the damper trough is something I believe in for other carts like my Ortofon SPUs on a 3012R.

It all remains to be seen, but I have an ffss, a Gray Export, a Maroon and a Gold. Among 9" and 12" SME arms and the Decca Internatinal, I ought to be able to find *something* that sings in that mix.

Peter C
Old 1st February 2003, 09:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Senior Member

Default WOBBLY UNIPIVS.

Hi,

If you were to design you're own unipivot,here's a nice little trick to prevent the arm from going with the wind.

As most good things it is simplicity itself...just put a sidebar on each side of the carrying pin made out of a small teflon rod and space it a fraction of a mm away from the centre pin.

The arm will not wobble anymore whenever it is lowered or lifted from the record and it won't impede its' noble unipivot pedigree in any way.

Voila,
Old 1st February 2003, 11:37 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: WOBBLY UNIPIVS.

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
If you were to design you're own unipivot,here's a nice little trick to prevent the arm from going with the wind.
There is a thread in here -- on building your unipivot -- where Dice45 takes the basics of this idea and brings it along much further, with many other benefits. I'm going to tackle that when i get around to putting my Hadcock GH212 back together.

dave
Old 1st February 2003, 11:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Senior Member

Default THE HADCOCKS.

Hi Dave,

As you may recall,I used to own of the Hadcock 228 E models.
Implementings this trick on these models is like talking microsurgeory though.

I feel you could make a great unipivot when restarting the idea from scratch and implement the trick along the way.

No idea Bernhard was aware of it too.

Time allowing,I'll try to dredge his ideas up.

He's surely missed in the Analogue dep...a true analogue man.

Cheers,
Old 2nd February 2003, 08:33 PM   #15
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I have just collected the decca. Very nive box, never opened in its life. everything was there, glass capsule with dampening fluid (as new), sealed bag with nuts and bolts and other goodies :-)

Now I am looking for a not too expensive Decca cartridge, doesn't have to be new, onely not to heavy worn... Any ideas of fitting the arm to a TD160??? Any help is welcome...
Old 3rd February 2003, 12:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Decca carts

Unusually, there are several on eBay USA last week. Don't know what happened with them, since I have all I need except a Jubilee. $150 USD would be an average number I suspect, though they could go for more and some for less. From bottom to top they go , Blue, Gray Export, several Maroons, Gold, Gold "specials" of several varieties and London Jubilee. Gold and up have elliptical styli, the Jubiliee has a fairly radical line contact stylus from what I recall. Low in the food chain gets higher tracking forces (2+ g) as does older. The Golds, etc., have about 1.5 g, no matter what they tell you. They say unipivots are the way to do this, though I remain unconvinced and am doing an SME as well as a Decca International. I'm told viscous damping is imperative, I'm inclined to believe that.

They're not that common, so it may be a wait, but be comforted that very few people know what they are and are likely to let them go for a song (pun intended.) They can be rebuilt for 135 GBP, likely a good investment. I just got an ffss that's going off to get the treatment.

Peter C
Old 3rd February 2003, 01:35 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

For $25 the Decca are could be fun to play with. But, it's not very good, never quite sounding right with the Decca cart in it An analogy would be like a lens you can never get to quite focus correctly, but you sense that if you could it would be exceptional.

I went through a period of trying every arm I could with my Deccas, even some really unlikely combinations until I finally foung something that worked: Townshend Excaliber with the damping trough. Deccas put so much energy back into the arm, that it's easy to find which brands have good bearing designs. You should have heard both the Ittoks I tried rattle with it.

I'll be interested to hear your finding wrt to the SMEs. My previous experiments (a decade or more ago now) with the SME 3009 on the Gyro was a bit of a flop, my SAEC easily outperforming it. However I picked up a 3012R on the weekend (for an exceptional price) and would be curious how it fares in that. I think the 3012 will get a bronze bearing kit later.

IME, the Deccas seem to need a unipivot, with lots of damping control, or an arm with <i>exceptional</i> bearings, based on having tried lots of arms with mine in the last 18 years of using Deccas.

The next cart I buy will be a Jubilee.

Cheers

PS: Load the cart at around 12k, and keep the capacitance low. If you have one of those 'clamp' mounts that look like a tiny vice, don't use it. It messes with the sound, and changes the internal relationship of the coils for the worse. I also recall Brian saying something about reducing the lifetime of the cart. He wouldn't honour warranties if you used them (IIRC long time ago now)
Old 3rd February 2003, 02:11 AM   #18
diyAudio Senior Member

Default RATTLE & HUM

Hi,

Decca carts are notorious for throwing back an enormous amount of energy into the tonearm and...the record itself.

Moreover the original design only had three terminals for connections...a typicallly British idiosyncratic design indeed.

Several companies in Britain and OZ still offer modded ones though and combined with an arm such as the well thought out Excalibur results can be quite breathtaking.

It certainly is a design that,once matured,could have put a lot of MC carts to shame.

Cheers,
Old 3rd February 2003, 11:01 AM   #19
Merijn is offline Merijn  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

So if I get it right, The Decca tonearm with a Decca cartridge will be some serious upgrading of my thorens with TP16-I/ortofon VMS20E mk.II?
Old 3rd February 2003, 11:07 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Brett,

No matter what else you do, get Analog Tube Audios bronze bearing. It transformed my 3012R. It also has all the goodies to run a Decca to advantage, and with the detachable headshell, it's easy to experiment with.

Peter C

Hide this!Advertise here!