Simple RIAA amp from c't magazine - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2003, 07:48 PM   #21
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

halo,

this is the "orginal l'audiophile Pacific" schematic. Werner has gone much farer than that in the meantime.

Klaus

ps: Werner, you also have my official email... can you send me that schematic via mail, if you do not want to post it (what I can fully understand) ?
Old 9th January 2003, 08:56 PM   #22
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Have a look at "Visions In Audio" - Werner's Homepage

Quote:
Originally posted by halojoy
He has some information about Phono stages here:
Also with some Schematics
http://www.angelfire.com/music4/audi...ns/design.html
Werner, Angelfire seems to have very little bandwidth to give (or assign) your homepage. I suggest that you move it to something better. It's no use to have a homepage which tells you to come back 4 hours later.

I have good experience with www.dk3.com and http://www.prohosting.com/

here is one of my free homepages. http://ice.prohosting.com/sarekpa/ they used to have 50 Megs free but now it's 20 Megs.
Old 9th January 2003, 10:05 PM   #23
halojoy is offline halojoy  Sweden
On Hiatus

Thumbs up Latest Homepage of gromanswe/halojoy

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders
Werner, Angelfire seems to have very little bandwidth to give (or assign) your homepage. I suggest that you move it to something better. It's no use to have a homepage which tells you to come back 4 hours later.
I have good experience with www.dk3.com
Thanks peranders!

I went straight away and got me a FREE webpage
at www.dk3.com - No hidden Charges!
Only to hope Werner does the same ......
---------------------------------------------------------------------

GROMAN MUSIC & AUDIO

---------------------------------------------------------------------

halojoy/gromanswe - webmasters FAST as LIGHTNING
Old 9th January 2003, 10:15 PM   #24
SvErD is offline SvErD  Norway
diyAudio Member

Does anybody have a board layout for Thorsten Loesch'es phono amp? Would save me some time
Old 10th January 2003, 06:29 AM   #25
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi all. I have not the intention nor the time to update or move my silly website. If ever I feel the need again for web presence I'll build a totally new one, and it shall be quite different then.

The schematic posted above is not the Pacific, but it is close. With these types of circuits all is in the implementation, though, and depending on the How, it can sound pretty good or outright bad.

Indeed I have gone a bit further in my ideas, notably the use of low-impedance RIAA networks, and source followers after each common-source FET, with load adjusted to pull constant current from the PSU.
Old 10th January 2003, 08:19 AM   #26
corbato is offline corbato  India
diyAudio Member

Default NE5532 RIAA

I am very pleased with the NE5532 <a href="http://sound.westhost.com/project06.htm">Rod Elliot Project 6</a> RIAA phono pre-amp that I built a few months ago. I use this unit for transfering LP's to PC for further processing and cutting into CDR. The only changes that I have undertaken is to increase the value of second stage resistor to bring up the gain so that it approaches the 0db mark in my sound card mixer. No "audiophile" components are employed. Resistors are mix of 1% metal film and n% Carbon ones.

I have enclosed the veroboard construction in a small tin box and mouted it inside the TT. Power supply is external (ditto for the TT motor) and I can't detect any Hum or noise, though I must admit that this pre-amp is yet to be tried out in my main amp.

All in all I'm quite happy.

Cheers.
Old 10th January 2003, 09:21 AM   #27
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi Corbato,

I built the single supply version of this preamp but got unpleasant results: noise, no bass, no depth in sound... This is true even with battery power. I think I did not make mistakes

I am now building it with the dual PSU (+ and -). I managed to get the + and - rails from a single rail "wall wart".

Can you give a description of how it sounds in your main system? I have a Rotel with a phono stage but I want to play vinyl through my Zen amp, so I do need it. And do not want a phono stage that is worst than the Rotel (which is very nice BTW).
Old 10th January 2003, 11:07 AM   #28
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miguel2
I built the single supply version of this preamp but got unpleasant results: noise, no bass, no depth in sound... This is true even with battery power. I think I did not make mistakes
Which opamp did you use?

If you have succeeded to get the RIAA curve right and still don't bass, I think it's the vinyl itself. Some LP's have very poor bass of various reasons.
Old 10th January 2003, 01:31 PM   #29
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

I used the NE5532. The circuit is on the bottom of the link on Corbato's message.

I cannot say I matched the RIAA curve because I have no way to measure it (I blew my soundcard some time ago measuring my preamp distortion ). I mixed carbon film and metal film resistors, but I think that is not the reason. And ordinary parts everywhere. I also mounted everything on a veroboard.

Don't know if the NE5532 has some tendency to oscillate, but the sound seemed to tremble.

I used a AC/DC live version so bass is not a problem (checked with the Rotel).
Old 10th January 2003, 10:46 PM   #30
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

miguel2,
check your component values three times if necessary. Your fault is either using wrong components or/and circuit connecting error OR your veroboard layout is actually making your amp oscillate or at least work not stabile. It must at least sound somewhat right... specially compared with an existing amp. I - although otherwise strongly opting for star earthing, always used a GROUND PLANE earthing for this kind of amps.

Klaus

Hide this!Advertise here!