Are piezo static guns just glorified gas stove lighters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, as the title suggests, I was just wondering if static discharge guns like the Zerostat and Ionoclast are basically the same as a $5 handheld piezo-electric gas stove lighter. I don't want to cheap out if it's going to do damage to my vinyl, or not do what the anti-static guns are supposed to do. It just seems like they are working on the same principle and 5 bucks sure beats 38 to 100 dollars.

Max

valveitude said:
The piezo lighters have a short duration arc, and I believe the Zerostat has a prolonged high voltage corona (not a spark) as you squeeze the trigger.

-Casey

Correct - same principle, but a much longer duration from the zerostat.

An old friend used to use his zerostat to charge up his long haired persian cat - the poor thing would be puffed up about the size of footstool until it got near something grounded. Zap! MEOWWWWW! Poor cat, after a while it would run and hide anytime he opened the door to the stereo cabinet.

Valveitude,

Good to know. The Ionoclast, like a stove sparker, does not have the long throw trigger of the ZeroStat. It probably cracks open a stubby Canadian spark, rather than the (required?) long-neck Corona (to find the beer analogy you didn't know you had hiden in your post).

Max

mightydub said:
An old friend used to use his zerostat to charge up his long haired persian cat - the poor thing would be puffed up about the size of footstool until it got near something grounded. Zap! MEOWWWWW! Poor cat, after a while it would run and hide anytime he opened the door to the stereo cabinet.

The effect was probably even better while listening to Van Der Graaf Generator.

If you take away metal part that the spark can jump to and instead, extend the point and heat shrink it (so the spark can not jump), but instead an "ionic wind" happens instead. the actual peizo zapper mechanism is the same.

a long time ago you used to be able to put a wire on one of those and stick it in a space invaders or pinball coin slot, it would give you about 50 credits :)

(to find the beer analogy you didn't know you had hiden in your post).

You can never have to many of those..analogies that is ;)

If you take away metal part that the spark can jump to and instead, extend the point and heat shrink it (so the spark can not jump), but instead an "ionic wind" happens instead. the actual peizo zapper mechanism is the same.

I'm not so sure. The piezo lighter gives you a "pop" as you release the spring loaded catch, the Zerostat gives you a "B-Z-Z-Z-Z-T" as you pull the trigger. Modding the lighter would give you the corona, I just don't think it would last long enough to give you the desired effect.

-Casey

Let me see if I understand. With the Zerostat, the trigger "sqeezes" the piezo crystal providing an extended buzz (of electricity). Whereas, the stove sparker's trigger releases a springed mechanism that quickly gets the crystal hammered (letting out a spark), but without the long lasting buzz.

Well, for $5, if I can find one locally, I might just get it and see if I can modify it to suit. Neutron7, I might need more details on the mod.

Max:cheers:

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
hi guys
i have not read all the posts, but as far as I understand, zerostat generates positive ions when trigger is pressed and than it generates negative ions once released
you can separate press and release for any time
you are supposed to point to where you want to remove static and press
than you are supposed to remove it far away and release again

this is how i am using it with success
btw, i started to use zerostat in the laboratory, where i occasionally need to weight highly static powder
and it works

my records do not need it much because my record cleaning liquid (secret formula consisting of 50% isopropanol with 0.1% of nonionogenic detergent like NP40, tween20, polysorbate PS80 or similar) removes static while it cleans

i think your idea is interesting but lacking some deeper knowledge

SY said:
I never had much luck with the Zerostat on records. I'd guess that the concentration and duration of ionization is insufficient for the mass and size of an LP.

Mmmmm, polysorbate 80, the dining choice of Zippy the Pinhead. :D

You could probably corner the market on used Thorium gas lantern mantles and solve the problem. It's funny how this one has fallen under the radar.

maxro said:

Is this what you're talking about?:dead:

Sort of, the Boston Globe just last week posted an article on keeping hundreds of Beacon Hill gas lights working without even mentioning that for 50 yr. the maintenence people were cleaning up these puppies. I have an off-grid house that uses them and a cold war era geiger counter pegs when placed under the mantle. I've switched to LED's and compact flourecents.

ionizing air blower. Keeps the static charge away from your work surface, PCB manufactury or LP turntable... ebay... cheap...

only problem? yes, you can keep a 20 sq. ft. area clear of nasty static electroantisound, BUT in operation there is a prolonged, low-level buzzing/zapping sound. Oh, and you need an air supply to effect the "blower" part, if it comes with no fan. Note that these come from very large to quite small (built around a 6" fan the smallest I've seen)... keep an eye out for Simco products with guarantees from the seller...

Just bringing this back up as I'm trying to find a piezzo-electric gas-lighter, as the linked below above refers to it, and I'm coming up blank here where I am. I am correct, never having been a gas stove or barbecue owner, that the device I'm after doesn't emit flame, but is just a spark generator? And that regular lighters that have the appearance of the one in the link will not work an antistatic device once the tank is removed? I've just checked a handful of places...WalMart, Lowe's, etc...but I can't seem to find anything that only sparks.

http://www.fovegraphy.com/IonizerE.php

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.