Methods for Reducing Turntable Motor Vibration - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 01:43 PM   #31
YNWOAN is offline YNWOAN  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Many thanks.

As an aside, as a result of your recent investigations in to power supplies (not to mention your generosity in actually providing the parts), I built this yesterday:

Click the image to open in full size.

That's the underside of my turntable by the way .

I'm surprised by how much difference this mod has made; the leading edge of notes seems noticeably more defined - I wonder what the measurements would tell us.
Old 19th October 2012, 04:19 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Blimey now there's an indulgence, I like it.

To be honest having seen the results of the recent speed test FM demodulations I don't think there's much more to learn from more measuring. We are basically at the limit for the test pressing used. Maybe it's time to waste 100 on that genuine DIN test record.

I'd be interested to see some wavelet analysis, I think it was Dom who showed that on PFM, as that easily identified the difference between your deck and mine vis-a-vis your lack of 33 1/3 signature noise due to you not having a point contact on your mag-lev main bearing.

It could be interesting to see some spectral from the motor feed and indeed feedback, I suspect there maybe some reduction of higher frequency harmonics. If I could arsed I'd buy that PS Audio regenerator and drive to Gwent to collect it, that could prove interesting- or an expensive waste of money.... ;-)
Old 19th October 2012, 05:44 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Yeah, it is a bit OTT (fully potted too ). However, one benefit of making it this way is that it can be easily removed from the circuit and A/B compared. Presumably back EMF is the issue, I don't know.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:01 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
It runs both ways, back emf from the motor pollutes the traffo in the Geddon and HF crap already on the mains does the same to the motor. Nothing's perfect.

How did you attach them in the end, one one each positive phase? I guess you could do with another for the return. I did mine, one across both phases- before the split and one on the return. 3 might be better... I'll wind some more.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:28 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that's right - but on mine, both returns are kept entirely separate (4 core cable) and so I guess I would need 4. The ones you gave me aren't the ones you were making though - these are ferrite cored toroidal types.

Hide this!Advertise here!