First turntable, got tractor flywheel. Bearings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am starting my first turntable. I got this perkins flywheel off ebay. It weighs 52lbs, has a 14" diameter, a 30mm shaft hole and is balanced.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In the first picture right around the hole is about 1mm higher than the rest. Is this bad? I may be able to get it milled down as a last resort. I could just modify a mat?

What setup would work best:

What about magnets? What kind like ring magnets? I am concerned if they are not centered or there field is not centered it will create a effect similar to spinning a perment magnet motor.

nice find on ebay. i bet the shipping was more than the flywheel itself!
how many teeth in that big gear? it would be cool if it happened to be the right amount for speed indicator :)

bottom bearing sitting on flats wont it wander around? i dont think it would be so great.

what about use 2 very strong neo magnets instead of the bottom bearings.

bottom bearing sitting on flats wont it wander around? i dont think it would be so great.

All of your designs have this problem- there is nothing in any of them to stop the shaft sliping sideways. I would suggest that, if you must use BB races, that you use 2, with the BB as the vertical bearing.

However, a better bearing would be possible using a brass or even PTFE bush around a shaft- it wqould be far quieter, and as long as you have the platter level, it should not have too much side load.

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.