SL 1900 and antiskating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I have to admit that I know close to nothing on how to setup a SL1900.

It plays records OK, but when i try to do light scratch it "jumps" one or two grooves back or forth.

I know its not intended for DJ'ing, but i suspect that it's a anti-skating problem.

How do I check if anti-skating is adjusted correctly, or even working?

I tried to place a mirror on the plate an placed the pickup on the mirror. The PU were quickly pulled towards the center. Is it supposed to do that?

I'm using a Ortofon nightclub PU. It's not the best for DJ'ing, but it should be OK.

The SL1900 is pretty beat up, but seems to be working. All hints on repair-guides or FAQ's would be appreciated.

Regards TroelsM

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Technics recommends to set the anti-skating knob at the same value as the stylus pressure. Meaning that at 0 gram stylus pressure and anti-skating knob at 0, the arm should remain steady in any position you put it and not swing to the inner part of the platter.

/Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I never serviced the 1900 but from the drawing it seems that the anti-skating principle is similar to that of the SL1210.
A spring, griping a pin attached to the arm base regulates the anti-skating force. Dismantle the table to the point where you can see the spring in action. (Remove the bottom plate)
If this spring seems like doing its job, your tone arm is definitely broken. I doubt you will find a new replacement.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.