TT on the cheap $300.00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to try a decent TT. I have a JVC QA-200 that I have used very little and purchased new about 15 or 20 years ago. I have seen Systemdek IIx and Thorens TD150 and TD160 models. There are new Rega P1s for $350.00.
I just purchased an Audio Mirror Pp1 preamp that has a good mm and mc phono stage.
I need suggestions in my price range as to what might be the best. I was very tempted to bid on the Systemdek on EBay, but what if I get stuck with a poor packaging job or a liar about the function i.e bad bearing or motor that can't be purchased any more.
I've read that a dc motor is better then ac. I don't know anything about TT or manufacturers new or old.
Please help.
I've asked this on Audiogon and the only suggestions were the TD150 and TD160. I've read that the TD125 is better when researching these models. I am so confused.

Hi Kip,
As far as ebay is concerned you just have to trust to judgement and positive feedback. I've been fine so far on all my ebay purchases in the UK. Of course ebay isn't the only source of second hand turntables. I've had a lot of experience with Thorens decks and have owned and enjoyed the TD160 and 150, but my preferred cheap(ish) turntable is the Systemdek IIX, particularly the older version with the oil-feed bearing. The later ones are fine too. With a decent arm like the Rega RB300 or 250 the Systemdek sounds quite similar to more expensive decks like Linns and Roksans. The cheaper Regas have never impressed me the same way- the bass end never sounds really solid to me on Planar 2s and 3s. In fairness though I've not heard the latest versions that dispense with the wobbly motor mounting that I always suspected was the main source of the bass problem, so they may be better. If possible, avoid a leap of faith and try to listen to some different turntables and get a feel for the differences in sound quality and presentation so you can make an informed decision.

All the best.

Thanks for the info Toaster,
I bid on a Systemdek IIx yesterday on EBay but lost out. It had the original Profile arm and a wooden Grado cartridge. My budget is $300.00 it went for over that price. I wouldn't mind spending more if it had a Rega arm and a better cartridge. The owner knew nothing of the wood Grado cartridge.

El Cheapoo TT

posted by Kip

IMy budget is $300.00 it went for over that price. I wouldn't mind spending more if it had a Rega arm and a better cartridge. The owner knew nothing of the wood Grado cartridge.

Kip,
Have a look at the results of a Google search for Lenco turntable/tt. Read how to turn an ebay less than $125 tt into something truly good....you will have to spend waaay over your budget to better it. And it is built like a tank and should cause no probs to bring close to its true potential.
Good luck,
Brianco.

Have a look at the results of a Google search for Lenco turntable/tt. Read how to turn an ebay less than $125 tt into something truly good....you will have to spend waaay over your budget to better it. And it is built like a tank and should cause no probs to bring close to its true potential.

Thats what i did.
These old L75 Lenco's are indestructable. The Lenco arms is unusable. I put a Decca International arm on mine, but I would guess that stocks have been exausted by now. Any of the Linn or Rega arms will fit. If you build it right this should at least match the Thorens, and will probably better it.

Shoog

Thanks,
There is a thread on Audiogon that I've been reading that is exactly what both of you are saying. I looked on EBay for a Lenco and saw that they were going for over $125.00. I then thought the arm would be $150.00 plus a cartridge $100.00, tone arm cable, etc. and then the assembly.
So I strayed away. I will still consider this route if I can't find something in my budget. I am just finishing a TDA1541A/S2 dac.

Unfortunately Lencos are a victim of that Audiogen thread, and Ebay is going to be the last place to find a cheap one now.
Lencos where the standard deck for consoles back in the 70's. A trip round the charity shops/thrift stores might be in order.

Shoog

I went to a charity shop yesterday and all that was there was an older realistic and some cheaper kenwood. There are a few more shops I will try to get to this weekend.

I forgot to mention, there is another Systemdek IIx900 on Ebay with a RB250 arm and a Goldring 1012GX cartridge, but it is in the U.K and uses 220v and 50Hz. I need 110v and 60Hz.

An oft overlooked table to consider (if you can find one) is the Harmon/Kardon T-60, circa 1982 or so. It was the flagship of the line at the time (the rest were absolute dreck). A quartz locked servo, belt drive, suspension table with a decent arm, and the best bearing I ever saw on a mass produced table. A light spin of the platter with the belt off, and the thing would rotate for what seemed forever. It retailed for around $400 at the time. The rep called it the "poor man's Linn"..I couldn't argue with that desciption.

-Casey

valveitude said:
An oft overlooked table to consider (if you can find one) is the Harmon/Kardon T-60, circa 1982 or so. It was the flagship of the line at the time (the rest were absolute dreck). A quartz locked servo, belt drive, suspension table with a decent arm, and the best bearing I ever saw on a mass produced table. A light spin of the platter with the belt off, and the thing would rotate for what seemed forever. It retailed for around $400 at the time. The rep called it the "poor man's Linn"..I couldn't argue with that desciption.

-Casey

All the HK tt's from that era used the exact same "microrace" tonearm.

All the HK tt's from that era used the exact same "microrace" tonearm.

This may or may not be true. Like all good marketeers, they tried to "tie in" the low end junk with their flagship. I'm only working from a fading memory here, but it seems to me the T-60's arm had a bigger arm tube..maybe not.

Regardless, the T-60's deck was in an entirely different league. Heavy platter, superior bearing, suspension, etc.. It was the best sounding table in the shop.

-Casey

What cartridge do you recommend for the T-60?
My preamp can use MM or MC.

We ran a Grado to good effect..hard to go wrong there. It was a medium mass arm, so it should be fine with many other carts. As for the MC options, unless you have a quality pre-pre, I would stick with MM..or a Grado (moving iron).

Is it possible to get parts for these if they need repair?

Don't know..an issue with any table thats been out of production for a decade or more.

-Casey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.