TT on the cheap $300.00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well so far no good luck for me. The owner of the T65c is trying to make me pay for packaging stating that the add says shipping and handling and I should expect a handling fee. See his response below;

"The listing does say handling, just does not say how much, your buy now now if you back out will cost me another 18.00 to relist this TT , when a listing says shiping and handling you shoud expect there to be a handling charge, seems to me the right thing would be for you to pay the 30.00 packing fee and be done with it, however I will split the differance with you, add 15.00 and I will pay the differance, it still will cost me money but I dont want to have to relist the TT, thnx , Jeff"

Shipping and handling are listed together in one box with a price under it. In this case the price to ship and handle was $43.16. I checked shipping and it actually cost $18.50. I am getting stiffed here. So I emailed him back and told him that I don't trust him now and I won't purchase the TT. Just so everyone here is clear, he doesn't accept PayPal, I need to send him a check. There is no way I am going to now take that chance. Once he receives the check nothing could stop hime from demanding another $30.00 payment to ship the TT.

Ok, now on to the heybrook.
The owner doesn't want to ship the TT. Packaging it would be a pain.

Someone shoot me!

well...
definitely got your wits about you w/r/t the t65c. don't go there with this guy.
As for the heybrook...I'm surprised it's still available. Better to not get it than get it damaged, which is what I imagine he's thinking. Still, sucks for you, and I'm sorry.
If I were in your shoes I'd email Dave Archambault from vinylnirvana.com and see what he had available that he maybe hadn't listed yet. I didn't read your whole thread but he sells lots of thorens and AR tables. I've bought a few from him, he packs well, ships fast, charges fair prices and is a helluva nice guy.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The DD guys love the SL1200s. When i was selling new TTs in the late 70s early 80s, we bought one (or the top-of-the-line equivalent -- SL10? -- we had a big Denon too) so we could set it up with the same arm/cart and regularily use it to sell regas & ERAs & even connies. They don't even make good record cleaners.

dave

careful of ebay seller

Kip, I have to say that what I read concerns me. Have you looked at some of the FAQs on ebay? I seem to remember "hidden" handling charges addressed a couple of years ago.

First, I would opt out of the purchase. I wouldn't want the seller to "prove his point" by using inadequate packaging. And you have no chance of a refund without paypal.

Next, I would send the email correspondance to ebay and report this. You'll be doing those that come after you a favor!

I couldn't bring up this sale on ebay search, but did find a "Buy it now" HK t60 that sold yesterday or so. That said S&H $40, but that seller accepted paypal.

I have purchased several things on ebay. And have been lucky so far. I have 65 +/- purchases, but have passed on three times that amount because something didn't smell right. Additionally, I believe I have never paid more that $30+/- for S&H on a table and that's usually double-boxed!

Just my thoughts. Don

Kip, one thing to think about...

I know it's a pain to be patient, TRUST ME, my wife would laugh at such understatement. But your budget allows you some pretty good choices -- A decent belt drive a la thorens or rega, a sl12xx used, something like the t65c or other japanese DDs like maybe a denon or pioneer, and maybe even an idler if you're willing to do some DiY (and clearly you're on the right forum for that). You could get a Lenco or RekOKut for less than $300 and spend the rest building it up, put a half-decent arm on it...

Point is, think about what kind of music you like, what you want from the system, and decide what you want to hunt out, rather than jumping at any half-decent $300 table. They are all different and all have strengths; your budget gives you flexibility to decide which ones are important to you.

I agree, the thrill of the chase is great - but you have lived a long time without a TT and can live a little longer without one.

The real bargins could take months to come your way.
Surprisingly the local papers might be just as good a place to find what you are looking for. There are still old audiofiles getting rid of their old kit at silly give away prices.

Shoog

I have a cheap JVC QL-A200 with a cheap mm cartridge. I use mostly cd. The reason for this purchase is I just sold my integraded amp (Karan KA-i180) and went back to separates. My new preamp (Audio Mirror PP1) has a very good phono stage (both MM and MC). My new amps are mono block and from EVS they are modified UDC 700 modules. My speakers are Merlin VSM-m and my dac is a design from Pedja from this site. I am still finishing it. I also have a dac from Thomas from this site as well.

I want to try good TT sound with a $300.00 budget.

Well, I purchased another TT. It is the Maplenoll Cleo Mk2 that I mentioned earlier. It is new in the box with a used pump and he is also throwing in a cartridge, I just don't remember what one. I paid $400.00 for everything including shipping. The Cleo Mk2 is supposed to be a higher end and newer TT then the Maplenoll Athena. The Athena's are selling for $1000.00 +. I hope I made a good choice and I know the TT is finicky. The guy also is a TT dealer and has a Cleo for parts if I need.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.