TT on the cheap $300.00 - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2007, 12:03 PM   #71
Kip is offline Kip  United States
diyAudio Member

This is the add for the T65c that I purchased from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1822&rd=1&rd=1

I found a lp12 in CA for $300.00. Contacted him a day after it was posted on Craigslist and it is sold.
Old 23rd February 2007, 01:20 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

Kip, one thing to think about...

I know it's a pain to be patient, TRUST ME, my wife would laugh at such understatement. But your budget allows you some pretty good choices -- A decent belt drive a la thorens or rega, a sl12xx used, something like the t65c or other japanese DDs like maybe a denon or pioneer, and maybe even an idler if you're willing to do some DiY (and clearly you're on the right forum for that). You could get a Lenco or RekOKut for less than $300 and spend the rest building it up, put a half-decent arm on it...

Point is, think about what kind of music you like, what you want from the system, and decide what you want to hunt out, rather than jumping at any half-decent $300 table. They are all different and all have strengths; your budget gives you flexibility to decide which ones are important to you.
Old 23rd February 2007, 07:21 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

I agree, the thrill of the chase is great - but you have lived a long time without a TT and can live a little longer without one.

The real bargins could take months to come your way.
Surprisingly the local papers might be just as good a place to find what you are looking for. There are still old audiofiles getting rid of their old kit at silly give away prices.

Shoog
Old 23rd February 2007, 12:51 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Lenco's have gotten very expensive. There is one on EBay buy it now for $318.00. I would still need to make a base (no problem) and purchase and arm. I am looking at a Maplenoll Cleo for $250.00. I don't have all the details yet, but will let you know. I know that it is new, well nos anyway.
Old 23rd February 2007, 01:09 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Kip,why don't you think of a new rega P1 and start to enjoy your music?It must be close to the price you want.
Old 23rd February 2007, 01:49 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

I have a cheap JVC QL-A200 with a cheap mm cartridge. I use mostly cd. The reason for this purchase is I just sold my integraded amp (Karan KA-i180) and went back to separates. My new preamp (Audio Mirror PP1) has a very good phono stage (both MM and MC). My new amps are mono block and from EVS they are modified UDC 700 modules. My speakers are Merlin VSM-m and my dac is a design from Pedja from this site. I am still finishing it. I also have a dac from Thomas from this site as well.

I want to try good TT sound with a $300.00 budget.
Old 23rd February 2007, 04:32 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Well, I purchased another TT. It is the Maplenoll Cleo Mk2 that I mentioned earlier. It is new in the box with a used pump and he is also throwing in a cartridge, I just don't remember what one. I paid $400.00 for everything including shipping. The Cleo Mk2 is supposed to be a higher end and newer TT then the Maplenoll Athena. The Athena's are selling for $1000.00 +. I hope I made a good choice and I know the TT is finicky. The guy also is a TT dealer and has a Cleo for parts if I need.
Old 24th February 2007, 01:48 AM   #78
widman is offline widman  United States
diyAudio Member

Woo Hoo!

After eight pages I'm glad to see you finally have a new turntable.

Enjoy.

Hide this!Advertise here!