TT on the cheap $300.00 - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2007, 09:16 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Good luck!
Old 19th February 2007, 02:45 AM   #62
Kip is offline Kip  United States
diyAudio Member

Well so far no good luck for me. The owner of the T65c is trying to make me pay for packaging stating that the add says shipping and handling and I should expect a handling fee. See his response below;

"The listing does say handling, just does not say how much, your buy now now if you back out will cost me another 18.00 to relist this TT , when a listing says shiping and handling you shoud expect there to be a handling charge, seems to me the right thing would be for you to pay the 30.00 packing fee and be done with it, however I will split the differance with you, add 15.00 and I will pay the differance, it still will cost me money but I dont want to have to relist the TT, thnx , Jeff"

Shipping and handling are listed together in one box with a price under it. In this case the price to ship and handle was $43.16. I checked shipping and it actually cost $18.50. I am getting stiffed here. So I emailed him back and told him that I don't trust him now and I won't purchase the TT. Just so everyone here is clear, he doesn't accept PayPal, I need to send him a check. There is no way I am going to now take that chance. Once he receives the check nothing could stop hime from demanding another $30.00 payment to ship the TT.

Ok, now on to the heybrook.
The owner doesn't want to ship the TT. Packaging it would be a pain.

Someone shoot me!
Old 19th February 2007, 02:54 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

well...
definitely got your wits about you w/r/t the t65c. don't go there with this guy.
As for the heybrook...I'm surprised it's still available. Better to not get it than get it damaged, which is what I imagine he's thinking. Still, sucks for you, and I'm sorry.
If I were in your shoes I'd email Dave Archambault from vinylnirvana.com and see what he had available that he maybe hadn't listed yet. I didn't read your whole thread but he sells lots of thorens and AR tables. I've bought a few from him, he packs well, ships fast, charges fair prices and is a helluva nice guy.
Old 19th February 2007, 05:01 AM   #64
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The local hifi store usually has some decent used tables -- when i was in on Friday i noted an early Rega 3 and a late model Thorens... if you want to check it out send me a mail and i'll give you the contact info.

dave
Old 19th February 2007, 12:22 PM   #65
widman is offline widman  United States
diyAudio Member

You can also keep an eye on Craig's List in your area. I've had good luck buying and selling. You meet in-person, demo the item and exchange cash. Here is a link for turntables in the Philly area:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/s...uery=turntable

Be patient and something will show up.
Old 19th February 2007, 01:35 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys!

The guy with the heybrook is now considering shipping the TT to me with a $40.00 packing fee and shipping. I am willing to do that and pay full price. He said he had a local interested and when he gets that answer he will get back to me.

If this falls through I may need your help again.
Old 21st February 2007, 07:03 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

He sold the heybrook locally. The search is still on.
I can still purchase the T65c for my original price of $343.16. The seeler came around. I am tempted since there is nothing else I see.

I do have a question. What is the feeling toward the Technics SL1200 tables? I've read some good stuff about them.
Old 21st February 2007, 07:10 PM   #68
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The DD guys love the SL1200s. When i was selling new TTs in the late 70s early 80s, we bought one (or the top-of-the-line equivalent -- SL10? -- we had a big Denon too) so we could set it up with the same arm/cart and regularily use it to sell regas & ERAs & even connies. They don't even make good record cleaners.

dave
Old 21st February 2007, 08:26 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Default careful of ebay seller

Kip, I have to say that what I read concerns me. Have you looked at some of the FAQs on ebay? I seem to remember "hidden" handling charges addressed a couple of years ago.

First, I would opt out of the purchase. I wouldn't want the seller to "prove his point" by using inadequate packaging. And you have no chance of a refund without paypal.

Next, I would send the email correspondance to ebay and report this. You'll be doing those that come after you a favor!

I couldn't bring up this sale on ebay search, but did find a "Buy it now" HK t60 that sold yesterday or so. That said S&H $40, but that seller accepted paypal.

I have purchased several things on ebay. And have been lucky so far. I have 65 +/- purchases, but have passed on three times that amount because something didn't smell right. Additionally, I believe I have never paid more that $30+/- for S&H on a table and that's usually double-boxed!

Just my thoughts. Don
Old 22nd February 2007, 12:06 AM   #70
diyAudio Member

Kip-

What Sjögren said

-Casey

Hide this!Advertise here!