TT on the cheap $300.00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep dave,

That's the one - is it really worth $100? The things people discard these days. Is it as good as a Rega RB250 arm?

I see that you haven't got the R200 arm on your TT.

New plinth with separate motor pod
Do you mean to build the existing plinth into a sandwich of two layers & deadening material in-between?

ground the bearing
Don't have the capabilities to do this unfortunately.

Mount the motor pod 180° from the arm.
How do you mean 180 degrees from the arm?

John

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jkeny said:
That's the one - is it really worth $100?

I got $113 for the one pictured on eBay (and it had a cut off interconnect)

Is it as good as a Rega RB250 arm?

No. And there are some well-know tweaks for the RB250.

I see that you haven't got the R200 arm on your TT.

It had an even cheaper Jelco arm on it (it was from the days when we were going thru at least 20 Regas a month)

Do you mean to build the existing plinth into a sandwich of two layers & deadening material in-between?

I'd just start from scratch. Layers of MDF & plywood is a good cheap plith. A layer of aluminum would make it even better.

How do you mean 180 degrees from the arm?

With the arm mounted on the back right, the motor would sit on the front-left.

Other mods include replacement platter, & AC motor controller.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jkeny said:
So I could, in theory, sell this arm & buy a new RB250 arm for only slightly more?

can you get an RB250 for $200?

Is the glass platter not good?

not as good as the Corian ones we have been trying

Any schematics for this?

I'd love to find some ... what i understand is that you basically build a little power amp and feed it a pure sin wave (some other regular waveforms may actually work better. This kind of controller is also needed to electronically convert a 50 hz motor/pulley to 60 Hz (ie you generate a 50 Hz waveform)

dave

There is a HK T-65C on Ebay. What do you think?

I'm not familiar with this table, but, if I were to guess, it probably is a mere shadow of it's predecessor. The T-60 came out on the tail end of the vinyl "salad days"..the digital thingies started coming out at the same time. It is unlikely that HK would have have invested the same level of care in a "dying" technology.

I am also considering a Mitsubishi LT-30

Don't..just don't :dead:

A) Japanese linear trackers of the era were pure marketing. They worked off a "error correction" scheme where as the arm stepped ahead, then crept behind across the table. End result- the tracking error was bad the whole way.

B) Speaking as a former Mits service manager, the only thing I would own with their name on it would be their tv's..most excellent (one's on in the background now)

-Casey

This is the reply I received from the guy who has the T65c and refurbishes TT and has also refurbished the T-60 TT also.

"they are very much the same, one big differance is the anti skate on the 60 is mecanical, and the 65 has an adjustable line and weight anti skate, some would say the 65 is better, both are very good , very well made"

Please any comments. I am serious about this and don't want to loose it if it is a good buy at $300.00.

I purchased it for the buy it now price of $300.00 plus $43.16 shipping. The owner then Emailed me a bill for $374.10. When I called him he said that the extra money was for packaging. I told him that wasn't listed in his EBay add and he proceeded to tell me he puts it in all of his adds. I told him if it was in there I would pay it, if it wasn't he would honor the $343.16. He said ok and checked. He found that it wasn't in the add and said he would contact EBay to see what happened and get back to me tomorrow.

Even when I commit something goes wrong.

Re: I know it's a bit out of the way but...

GhettoSQ said:
Here in Boston (well, the burbs thereof) on craigslist, some dude is selling a heybrook tt2 with Linn basik LVX or LVV arm for $300. Might email and see if he'd ship. I'd love to see it go to a good home if not mine :)

I've been watching that turntable but can't afford the financial outlay right now.

I don't see the heybrook TT just speakers. That sounds like a good price.

I haven't heard back from the T65c guy yet. I guess he is waiting to see what EBay says. This was his last response yesterday "It does say shiping and handling , not shipping including handling, still not sure why it does say how much I entered for handling cost, which is for the packing, hopefully I will hear from eBay soon to explain it to me, I will call you then, thnx, Jeff"

Red flag is up. If I could get the heybrook for $300.00 I am pretty sure I can get out of the T65c purchase. He wants his $30.00 packing fee and it ain't coming from me!

Any link to the heybrook?

Yeah, I just got a new cartridge and some other bits and pieces, so ditto here. Truthfully, that price is a steal but since I already have a Thorens TD-160 and have had such good luck modding it, I'm not sure i would want another sprung belt-drive, even at a steal price. I'd spend $300 on a sl1200 or Lenco instead...still, the heybrook is gorgeous and matches our decor...

Thanks for the link. I emailed the guy with the heybrook and waiting for a response. I also emailed the guy with the t65c and asked him what he wanted me to do. I also stated that I was willing to walk away from the deal if he wanted, but I needed to know today. If I can get out of the T65c deal and the guy with the heybrook still has it and is willing to ship it to me, I'll take the heybrook. The guy with the T65c said he would give me an answer today and it is now after 5PM with no answer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.