TT on the cheap $300.00 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2007, 08:29 PM   #11
qewl is offline qewl  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow, I have owned a few Lencos over the years and never really thought they were as good as the Ariston, Linns or Thorens units I also had!
Old 11th January 2007, 08:57 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

An oft overlooked table to consider (if you can find one) is the Harmon/Kardon T-60, circa 1982 or so. It was the flagship of the line at the time (the rest were absolute dreck). A quartz locked servo, belt drive, suspension table with a decent arm, and the best bearing I ever saw on a mass produced table. A light spin of the platter with the belt off, and the thing would rotate for what seemed forever. It retailed for around $400 at the time. The rep called it the "poor man's Linn"..I couldn't argue with that desciption.

-Casey
Old 15th January 2007, 03:36 PM   #13
Kip is offline Kip  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I will do a search and see what I can find.
Old 19th January 2007, 03:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valveitude
An oft overlooked table to consider (if you can find one) is the Harmon/Kardon T-60, circa 1982 or so. It was the flagship of the line at the time (the rest were absolute dreck). A quartz locked servo, belt drive, suspension table with a decent arm, and the best bearing I ever saw on a mass produced table. A light spin of the platter with the belt off, and the thing would rotate for what seemed forever. It retailed for around $400 at the time. The rep called it the "poor man's Linn"..I couldn't argue with that desciption.

-Casey
All the HK tt's from that era used the exact same "microrace" tonearm.
Old 19th January 2007, 03:33 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All the HK tt's from that era used the exact same "microrace" tonearm.
This may or may not be true. Like all good marketeers, they tried to "tie in" the low end junk with their flagship. I'm only working from a fading memory here, but it seems to me the T-60's arm had a bigger arm tube..maybe not.

Regardless, the T-60's deck was in an entirely different league. Heavy platter, superior bearing, suspension, etc.. It was the best sounding table in the shop.

-Casey
Old 19th January 2007, 03:39 PM   #16
Kip is offline Kip  United States
diyAudio Member

What cartridge do you recommend for the T-60?
My preamp can use MM or MC.
Is it possible to get parts for these if they need repair?
Old 19th January 2007, 03:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What cartridge do you recommend for the T-60?
My preamp can use MM or MC.
We ran a Grado to good effect..hard to go wrong there. It was a medium mass arm, so it should be fine with many other carts. As for the MC options, unless you have a quality pre-pre, I would stick with MM..or a Grado (moving iron).

Quote:
Is it possible to get parts for these if they need repair?
Don't know..an issue with any table thats been out of production for a decade or more.

-Casey
Old 19th January 2007, 08:45 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Try also to find a Thorens TD125,to my opinion at least as good as a Linn Sondek,when fitted with an SME 3009 arm,even if you are using a noving coil cartridge.
Old 19th January 2007, 09:52 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Try also to find a Thorens TD125
Yep..a good option.

This Kenwood table fits in your budget, and is damn nice as well..incredible punch and bass extension. The faux marble plinth and massive platter make this DD a real contender.

-Casey
Old 19th January 2007, 11:18 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

And since you are in the USA why not look for an AR turntable?It is really good.

Hide this!Advertise here!