A R Sugden Connoisseur BD101 turntable - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2008, 04:00 AM   #11
fredex is offline fredex  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I had a BD1 I think. It was a fine sounding turntable. It was delightfully quirky, the motor was suspended from normal household rubber bands stretched across a plastic frame. The on/off switch had a rubber finger that gave the platter a start up spin when rotated to turn the unit on. The platter was 10 inches so LPs hung out over the edge.......wish I'd kept it.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:22 AM   #12
bootwb is offline bootwb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is my first post on this forum.

I'm in the process of repairing a Connoisseur BD-1, and have obtained the replacement motor mount kit from Signals UK. This comes as a rubber web, plastic mount (which I already have from the original) and TWO rubber tensioning bands.

Unfortunately the motor was already de-mounted when I obtained the turntable, and the mount kit came with no instructions, so I do not have a template to work to and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to mount the motor with this kit.

There are three holes in the plastic part with bars across them, corresponding to the three arms of the rubber web, however there is no way on earth those rubber arms will fit through those holes in the plastic. Had there been three rubber bands, I would have used these as a link between the holes and the arms, however the supply of two rubber bands is just confusing.

I would be most grateful if anyone has one of these, if they could send me a picture of the mounting arrangement, or describe how the rubber web attaches to the plastic mount.
Old 19th June 2010, 11:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootwb View Post
This is my first post on this forum.

I'm in the process of repairing a Connoisseur BD-1, and have obtained the replacement motor mount kit from Signals UK. This comes as a rubber web, plastic mount (which I already have from the original) and TWO rubber tensioning bands.

Unfortunately the motor was already de-mounted when I obtained the turntable, and the mount kit came with no instructions, so I do not have a template to work to and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to mount the motor with this kit.

There are three holes in the plastic part with bars across them, corresponding to the three arms of the rubber web, however there is no way on earth those rubber arms will fit through those holes in the plastic. Had there been three rubber bands, I would have used these as a link between the holes and the arms, however the supply of two rubber bands is just confusing.

I would be most grateful if anyone has one of these, if they could send me a picture of the mounting arrangement, or describe how the rubber web attaches to the plastic mount.
Hi,

Long ago, when I had my BD1, I bought the upgrade motor suspension kit. There should be a 3-legged black plastic piece that snaps into the three holes in the plastic part of the motor. However, the instructions told you to remove the bar across each hole first, using a pair of thin pliers. It's advisable to keep the motor tilted downwards so the bars don't fall into the motor. Originally, the long rubber bands that suspended the motor were threaded through the bars, which is why they were there.

With the upgrade, the rubber web is then placed on top of the motor, and the black plastic part snaps into place, trapping it. The three 'legs' of the web can then be hooked over the mounts on the turntable chassis.

About the supplied rubber bands: these are intended to brace the motor against the pull of the drive belt. There is a hook at the side of the motor, and one band was slipped over this and another hook on the chassis. The second band must be a spare!

HTH,

Mark

Last edited by markinuk; 19th June 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 20th June 2010, 02:04 PM   #14
bootwb is offline bootwb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinuk View Post
Hi,

Long ago, when I had my BD1, I bought the upgrade motor suspension kit. There should be a 3-legged black plastic piece that snaps into the three holes in the plastic part of the motor.
Hi Mark,

Thanks, that is a great help. It looks like I've bought a replacement web mount, when I shold have bought a conversion kit. Looks like I'll have to manufacture an alternative to this part to get the job done.

Thanks again, as a Mech Engineer, it was somewhat frustrating to be looking at these parts and unable to figure out how they assemble! I'd pretty much come tot he conclusion that I probably had a part missing, but it's good to have that confirmed.

All the best

Rich
Old 29th June 2010, 10:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Technical & General stock original parts &can offer specific advice on BD1 / 2 / etc

technical-and-general@fsmail.net

01892 654534

contact Dennis Burke

Hide this!Advertise here!