Direct Drive fun!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The latest...almost ready to testdrive...

Arne K

Attachments

• img_2989 (medium).jpg
    img_2989 (medium).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,228
SP-10's are more complicated to repair, but the parts are more common. They are based on older technology where as the SP-15 is based on newer tech but have 3 proprietery chips in them that simple do not exist anymore and there are no known cross references for them.

I specialize in SP-15 repair but have pretty much gotten out of keeping up with them. see my website at www.overkillaudioinc.com for some of the products i once offered.

The SP-15 is a great 78rpm table but not a very good high end audiophile type table. the motor is way too big and has lots of cogging to be a good 33rpm table. Remember the Sp-15 was never designed to be a home table. it was designed as a radio station table.

The Sp-10's have MANY more poles to the motor's reducing cogging at low speeds. Plus they have a much better thrust bearing arraingment. the SP-15 Thrust bearing is very very weak.

At one point i was manufacturing replacement thrust bearings design in conjunction witn Simon York. But My machinist has since retired and i have decided not to contiune making them as the cost of MFG is just to high for what i can sell them for.

Another weak point for the SP-15 is that the spindle is very weak and easily bent. that 7lb platter is riding on it and one sharp blow to the edge of the platter and that spindle is bent! 99% of the table i get in here have bent spindles. I have to pay a machine shop to straighten them.

My personal fav is the SP-10 MKIII with the external PSU that has 3 speeds (hard to fine) mated with a SME 3012R arm and a variety of cartridges.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
But does not the MkIII have the same motor as SP-15?
I have not held one in my hand(MkIII), but seen several pictures...?
I was also told from another source that the SP-15 was an upgraded 1210 motor?
And a third source say the SP-15 had (marginally) better data than SP-10 ?

Anyway...I'm happy as a .....:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Arne K

Nice stuff & the best TT I know which costs less than any other really good new table.
I have a serious problem though:
A few years ago I bought a SP10MK11P (Ex BBC broadcast deck with the bigger PS. It had been (by the seller) heavily modded. All the electronics except the microswitch assy. have been moved off from the TT to within the PS enclosure.
(I wish I had a digital camera so that you could see pix.) The two are now joined by an umbilical cable of twisted screened pairs in OFC copper.
The TT has been well damped and the unit is in a correct all obsidian plinth. At present it has a Zeta arm and Audionote (original kondo type) Io cartridge.
Having given 2-3 years of absolute perfect service it has died.
The original owner updated as many chips as possible and his work is good.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to the most common cause of total failure to start at any speed. there is power getting to the deck and the speed switches light correctly. I have checked all fuses, plugs etc.
Also is there a schematic for a modern simple but good PS for these motors known to anyone (I need 33 1/3 only).
ANY help will be deeply appreciated.
Many thanks,
Brianco.

Cobra2 said:
But does not the MkIII have the same motor as SP-15?
I have not held one in my hand(MkIII), but seen several pictures...?
I was also told from another source that the SP-15 was an upgraded 1210 motor?
And a third source say the SP-15 had (marginally) better data than SP-10 ?

Anyway...I'm happy as a .....:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Arne K

No the SP-15 has a completly different motor's then the 10's. the MKIII might have the same motor, they are so rare i have never seen one. But my understanding is that it is the same as the MKII motor which has much better specs then the 15's.

The SP-25 is a SL-1200 in a different case.

The Sp-15s has something like .0078% rumble and the 10's were in the 93's, dont remember the exact decimal places but i remember the 15's at 78 and the 10's at 93

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.