This is too cool

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wouldn't know. But it could be hovering, like the Platine Verdier decks.

The deck would have been even cooler if it was mounted on a slab of concrete, or that "Japanese ceramics" used in the Shigaraki series, http://www.sakurasystems.com/products/shigacd.html

I posted a photo of a Japanese homemade tonearm here not long ago. Looks suspiciously like the Tsurube tonearm. Not that I think it's a rip off. An interesting coincidence, or are there other similar stuff going on in Japan we don't get to hear about?

I can't find it now, but I used to have some bookmarks to some really cool Japanese sites, mostly DIY. Maybe they were the ones that disappeared when I reinstalled my PC the last time. I saved the bookmarks. But I believe winrar or winzip did something to the bookmarks with titles in Japanese characters. They just weren't there when I unzipped them. :mad:

Easier to upload the image.

The arm in question might actually have been inspired by the 47 Labs arm, which in turn looks like an arm Bé Yamamura did once.

Attachments

• o367.jpg
    o367.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,414
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
phn said:
Easier to upload the image.

The arm in question might actually have been inspired by the 47 Labs arm, which in turn looks like an arm Bé Yamamura did once.

yeah......I collected every image I can find on the net (mebbe we can compare what we have ;) )......thinking about that that I have one school-friend ( ages ago) who's father was a clock repair man......so I can ask him one day for few bits'n'pieces ..........and finally make ultimate arm for my 401 and few other spinners I have

anyway-did you tried anything with 47 lab inspired arm making?

besides-are you satisfied with 929 ?

I have tons of images and schematics on my hdd. Save just about everything.

I never got to use it. Ran into a cheap Ortofon, as in cheaper than eBay. So I sold the 929 to somebody who has an EMT deck. Both by fluke.

I love tonearms, like all vinyl junkies. Why else would an SME 3012 go for more than a Garrard 301? I rarely play mono albums and don't need more than one arm. But I frequently visit eBay just to look at the tonearms there.

I would love to be able to make a tonearm. I don't have the tools. No workshop.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
phn said:
I have tons of images and schematics on my hdd. Save just about everything.

In fact I meant just on RS-A1 related info.......

I love tonearms, like all vinyl junkies. Why else would an SME 3012 go for more than a Garrard 301? I rarely play mono albums and don't need more than one arm. But I frequently visit eBay just to look at the tonearms there.

yeah........vinil junkie.........same case with me .......drool is necessary ;)

I would love to be able to make a tonearm. I don't have the tools. No workshop.

seems to me that you realy don't need uch tool for RS-A1 ........little luck and good eye for parts........mebbe just few visits to nice metal workshop........?

Shouldn't be too difficult to replicate.

But personally I don't see much need. There's no better tonearm than this, if the right cart is used, and it's fairly cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-NOS-Jap...7QQihZ019QQcategoryZ48649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It has all the things a tonearm needs and none that it doesn't need.

And Western Electric was clearly ahead of its times with this straight arm: http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Electri...02QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unfortunatelly, the chance to ever get to hear the latter is slim.

Forgot. Klangfilm also had some straight arms.

03.jpg

Now, THAT is built.

superhkm said:
I have seen a picture of a RS-A1 DIY copycat somewhere on the web, I just can't find it again , trying every possible (obviously not :)) search....

Search 'Be yamamura turntable ': you will find what you are looking for. Be Yamamura mades some weird and wonderful arms and even a total airfloat turntable: a few were made and sounded wonderful. They were very expensive, were totally hand made, one at a time and were nearly 100% finest grain carbon.

brianco said:

Search 'Be yamamura turntable ': you will find what you are looking for. Be Yamamura mades some weird and wonderful arms and even a total airfloat turntable: a few were made and sounded wonderful. They were very expensive, were totally hand made, one at a time and were nearly 100% finest grain carbon.

Yamamuras are fun too, but I'm talking about a true DIY project, someone ot there has done it, I'm sure of it !

superhkm said:

Yamamuras are fun too, but I'm talking about a true DIY project, someone ot there has done it, I'm sure of it !

Yes. When Be moved from the UK to Italy he ceased to make his famed 211 SETs. I had one on long term loan ad can say that it was the most pleasent valve amp I have ever heard - until he built some 845 monoblocks and tube pre with transformer volume controls. We heard the pre a/bd against various top dollar pre amps. Be's offering simply made the others sound like kitchen tranny radios.

When he developed his current power amps he had moved to Italy. He told me that he was going to help the DIY people around Firenze with building 211sets....he had a lot of Tamura transformers which were made to his own spec.
I have made a few JFET preamps to his designs..hybrids with transformer outputs.

He also built some absolutly great speakers and cables. The first of the big front loaded horns was fitted with a WE 15" adapted driver sporting a flat diaphram and piston, a Lowther mid range and TAD tweeter. To hear Deep Purple or Rainbow at full volume through these driven by a SET was an experience that is totally unique.
The resistors which he sopecified to the boss of Vishay (UK) was specified around my kitchen table when I lived in London. Sfernice made them in France. Can they still be bought?

We lost touch when he went to live in Florida and I believe that bad health has forced him to retire. If anyone has contact details I will be grateful to receive them.
Oh yes...he also played a mean round of golf using top classic clubs.

Zen Mod said:

it will be extremely interesting to see his preamp constructions..........

;)

I dont want to hijack this thread, nor do I want to publish here or elsewhere any of Be's designs without his express permission as the copyright is his alone even if these were never intended as commercial designs. Nor do I want to start a thread although I was totally familiar with everything he was doing until he left Italy. I am lucky enough to have the prototypes of his current amps, despite the fact that they are no longer working I cannot have them repaired for the saame reason...unless I totally trust the repairer in terms of ability and acceptance of the copyright issues.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
brianco said:

I dont want to hijack this thread, nor do I want to publish here or elsewhere any of Be's designs without his express permission as the copyright is his alone even if these were never intended as commercial designs. Nor do I want to start a thread although I was totally familiar with everything he was doing until he left Italy. I am lucky enough to have the prototypes of his current amps, despite the fact that they are no longer working I cannot have them repaired for the saame reason...unless I totally trust the repairer in terms of ability and acceptance of the copyright issues.

don't worry..........be happy..in fact-you'll probably be even more happy if you find someone to repair these amps..

I must ask,I hope that you understand that ;)

anyway- it was not muuuucho interesting to see exact schmtc....I'll certainly be grateful for few words about overall approach and few words about construction.......what type of stages,used active elements etc
more like light insight in engineering approach,then anything else

OK-regarding RSA1 arm-few old links are dead,but this seems still alive :
http://tiny.pl/w95h

edit:

ps. I know that there is slim chance that you ever came to Serbia....but I really can repair these beauties for you ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.