Cartridge Impedance Matching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cartridge Impedence Matching

Ok, I'm kindof a noob when it comes to diy, so take it a little easy.

I'm currently building a pass pearl and am trying to find out how to correctly load the cartridge with the correct resistor and capacitors.

I'm using an AT 440MLa, and I've found values for the recommended load.

Coil impedance at 1kHz: 3.2 kOhm
Coil inductance at 1kHz: 490 mH
Recommended load resistance: 47 kOhm

Does this mean I would just put a 47kOhm resistor on R1? What about capacitance?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I'm afraid Jim Hagerman is wrong on this one. He's quite correct in showing that different loading capacitances and resistances change the frequency response, but his assumption that a flat electrical response is desirable is incorrect. You see, cartridge manufacturers use the electrical resonant circuit to equalise for the falling mechanical response of their generator. That's why early Ortofon VMS20E required 400pF-500pF of loading capacitance and too little capacitance actually reduced the treble heard. 1970s and 80s Shures were the same.

EC8010 said:
I'm afraid Jim Hagerman is wrong on this one. He's quite correct in showing that different loading capacitances and resistances change the frequency response, but his assumption that a flat electrical response is desirable is incorrect. You see, cartridge manufacturers use the electrical resonant circuit to equalise for the falling mechanical response of their generator. That's why early Ortofon VMS20E required 400pF-500pF of loading capacitance and too little capacitance actually reduced the treble heard. 1970s and 80s Shures were the same.

what do you suggest then?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I suggest that you follow the cartridge manufacturer's recommendations. It's a shame they don't specify capacitance. 1970s and 80s cartridges tended to want 400pF-500pF (that's arm wiring and pre-amplifier together). Using that amount of capacitance tended to resonate the equaliser at somewhere between 15kHz and 30kHz, but the response dropped off like a stone after that. In fact, you can often get a good idea of stylus tip mass by calculating the resonant frequency of the cartridge's inductance paired with its load capacitance. As I recall, the Shure SC35 resonated at 15kHz (it was a big robust broadcast beast), whereas cartridges with lighter cantilevers and rondels needed less equalisation and had a correspondingly higher equaliser resonant frequency.

Then, CD4 appeared with its quadraphonic subcarrier that needed a cartridge response up to 50kHz. That led directly to improved stylus profiles (Shibata etc) and the necessity of reduced loading capacitance to enable the equaliser's resonant frequency to be set to 50kHz or so. Pick-up arm manufacturers responded and started making arms with greatly reduced arm wiring capacitance (it wasn't difficult and enabled them to claim that they were CD4-ready). All of a sudden, load capacitance had fallen from 400pF-500pF to about 250pF, but the majority of the cartridges were the same and needed the old capacitance. Ortofon sold a 200pF loading capacitor that slid onto the back of their VMS20E to correct the situation.

So, if your cartridge is old, try 400pF-500pF, if modern, try 250pF. Try 250pF first, then, if the extreme treble seems weak, try 450pF. If it needs 450pF, the extreme treble will improve, if not, it will get even worse.

To quote Graham Mynard - I have become quite the fan of his work.

1) A moving magnet pick-up cartridge is an inductive transducer that must be resistively damped and reactively tuned to optimise reproduction. Hence I fitted a sub-miniature twin gang 500pF variable and screen earthed twin gang potentiometers directly to the input circuitry
It is only *after* you have actually used these input damping and tuning controls whilst music listening to optimise your own equipment line-up, that you can understand just how much mind distracting spin has been repeated about fractional 'dB' variation with respect to an ideal RIAA characteristic.
Cartridge to pre-amplifier matching has a much more significant effect upon reproduction than does the achievement of perfect RIAA equalisation !!!

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Audio/vinyl.htm

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Seems a little extreme, but if you consider that the tolerance of cartridge inductance and mechanical losses are not likely to be good, it makes sense. Perhaps the reason why I never really liked moving magnet cartridges was that their equalisers were mismatched...

Don't you have the instruction manual at hand? Usually the recommended load capacity is mentioned there.

Or you could email Audio-Technica about the recommended load capacity - in my experience they reply quickly!

I would really recommend finding out the correct value! Otherwise you'll get accustomed to a non-linear frequency response which I cannot imagine is in your interest.

With kind regards, Hannes

h_a said:
Don't you have the instruction manual at hand? Usually the recommended load capacity is mentioned there.

I do, and it isn't

h_a said:
Or you could email Audio-Technica about the recommended load capacity - in my experience they reply quickly!

I did, and then they did. 100pF I'm not sure why they don't include it in the manual

thanks!

That is interesting. That is about what I would have calculated as the correct value. My Shure V15V has almost the same inductance and the calculated value of capacitance for a Q of 0.7 was 120pF.

Never could figure out why Shure recommended a 250 pF terminating capacitor when it sounded much better with a 120 pF termination.
Regards,
Ray

''Recommended''capacitance is not necessarily correct or best.With modern cartridges with their more linear responses,in most cases(excluding extreme cases)it is not even necessary to use any capacitance at all.The capacitance of internal arm wires and output cable is enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.