Need help on pulley diameter calculation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

I was able to get my floppy drive motor up and running powered by an old Casio E100 PDA power supply that puts up 5V.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It was very competent turning in the Pink Triangle and Clearaudio platters I have on hand.

I wanted to have a local machine shop make a pulley for me.

Having read Mark Kelly's posts about belt creep and all those Poisson formulas, I think I'd avoid a rubber belt :D and use a casette tape as a belt.

Can someone share the formula I need to use to know the size of the pulley?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
arnoldc said:
Hi Guys,

I was able to get my floppy drive motor up and running powered by an old Casio E100 PDA power supply that puts up 5V.

It was very competent turning in the Pink Triangle and Clearaudio platters I have on hand.

I wanted to have a local machine shop make a pulley for me.

Having read Mark Kelly's posts about belt creep and all those Poisson formulas, I think I'd avoid a rubber belt :D and use a casette tape as a belt.

Can someone share the formula I need to use to know the size of the pulley?

(100/3 x Ddisc )/ Rpm of floppy motor = D pulley

it can't be so easy ........ ;)

Re: Stupid question

enzedone said:

Little confused:confused: over the calculations, Ddisc; is this the diamater of the platter your driving with the motor?

Yes, Ddisc is the diameter of the platter.

To make this straight: The diameter is inversely proportional to the RPM.

Motor pulley Dia Dm / Platter Dia Dp = Platter RPM Rp / Motor RPM Rm

Motor pulley Dia Dm = Dp x Rp / Rm

Regards
Din

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.