Sansui XR-Q7 Turntable Manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MosfetOwner said:
Sorry, I don't have the original owner's manual for the XR-Q7. What is it you want to know? They are similar to other top-end Denon and JVC turntables in operation - I also own a JVC QL-Y3F which is almost identical in operation, and looks very smilar.

Thanks for the reply...I do have a service manual, but other than "Lead-in Position" it deals only with internal adjustments...My immediate question is "How do I adjust the arm VTA?"...Your assistance would be greatly appreciated...By the way, I still hope to find an Owner's Manual...

Thanks again

elricvanb said:

Thanks for the reply...I do have a service manual, but other than "Lead-in Position" it deals only with internal adjustments...My immediate question is "How do I adjust the arm VTA?"...Your assistance would be greatly appreciated...By the way, I still hope to find an Owner's Manual...

Thanks again

The VTA is adjusted by raising and lowering the rear of the tonearm. This is achieved by turning a small knurled screw on the right hand side of the tonearm base to unlock it, and then pulling up or pushing down on the tonearm at the pivot point. The knurled screw is just to the rear of the black knob for setting anti-skating (see the attached picture). Clamp the tonearm to its rest before you start. Turn the knurled screw anti-clockwise to unlock the height setting adjustment. After setting the height of the tonearm, turn the knurled screw clockwise to lock the setting. The idea is to make the tonearm roughly parallel to the surface of the record. After that, it can only really be set by ear, apparently. However, it's really only a happy compromise, because records vary slightly in thickness.

I wouldn't hold too much hope of finding a manual - the XR-Q7 seems to be pretty rare, and they seem to be offered for sale on Ebay very rarely. If I had an owner's manual, I'd be happy to copy it for you, but I'm in the same boat as you, unfortunately.

Attachments

• xr-q7 turntable 20_1_b.jpg
    xr-q7 turntable 20_1_b.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 150
MosfetOwner said:

The VTA is adjusted by raising and lowering the rear of the tonearm. This is achieved by turning a small knurled screw on the right hand side of the tonearm base to unlock it, and then pulling up or pushing down on the tonearm at the pivot point. The knurled screw is just to the rear of the black knob for setting anti-skating (see the attached picture). Clamp the tonearm to its rest before you start. Turn the knurled screw anti-clockwise to unlock the height setting adjustment. After setting the height of the tonearm, turn the knurled screw clockwise to lock the setting. The idea is to make the tonearm roughly parallel to the surface of the record. After that, it can only really be set by ear, apparently. However, it's really only a happy compromise, because records vary slightly in thickness.

I wouldn't hold too much hope of finding a manual - the XR-Q7 seems to be pretty rare, and they seem to be offered for sale on Ebay very rarely. If I had an owner's manual, I'd be happy to copy it for you, but I'm in the same boat as you, unfortunately.

Thank you very much for the instructions and picture...I saw the small set-screw on my arm base, but was hoping there was some type of fine vernier adjustment instead...My old Linn LP-12 had the same set-screw mechanism; very awkward and imprecise...

I will keep looking for an Owner's Manual...If I find one, I will be back in touch to provide a scan...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.