Bad standards are better than no standards - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2006, 01:50 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Aengus,

Looks like the the Rega spindle dia. was pretty close to .280", not +.005 as I had previously posted. He had machined the plastic sub-platter to give more spindle length, so the clamp had more spindle to grip.

Jeff
Old 13th December 2006, 03:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hello Aengus,

I asked about LP standards here a while back, and got a wealth of usable info..you might find it interesting.

-Casey
Old 13th December 2006, 10:06 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi, if you're machining the spindle from scratch, I'd really advise sticking bang on spec at 9/32 = 0.28125 in. An extra 0.00125in issignificant on such a small hole especially if you get records at the top of the clearance or well-played ones.

jeff
Old 13th December 2006, 04:49 PM   #14
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good stuff.

Jeff, thanks for the measurement on the Rega. And jeff, probably good advice about the 9/32 diameter. I'll be having it machined, since I have neither the tools nor the skills for this task. The final form is still to be determined, subject to ongoing thinking about record clamps.

Casey, thanks for the thread pointer. I'd seen this thread but then forgotten it. I too will refer, at parties, to Sy as "fearful" - or wait, was it "fearsome" he was hoping for?

Did you end up making a reflex clamp? I've been following your TT thread with envy (not to say awe) and wondering how many (if any) of your ideas I can adapt to my plywood platter design. However, I don't recall seeing anything about record clamps there to date (sorry if I've just missed it).

Regards.

Aengus
Old 13th December 2006, 07:54 PM   #15
cerrem is offline cerrem  United States
diyAudio Member

To add in my 2 cents....
Standards were set for turntables, RIAA curves, cutting heads, start and finish diameters, lathes...ect...ect...
I have list of them in various books...
The key thing to keep in mind is very rarely were these standards followed or respected.... 99% of these turntables were sold to the commercial mass market and are total junk and in many cases WAY off any standard or no standard followed....
Records were stamped soo fast just to get them out the door..
The general public was not demanding better turntables and not demanding to adhere to any standards....they would just buy what was on the shelf and go with it....
There were no "turn-table police" out there that show up at a factory to enforce standards..... NOBODY CARES!!!!!!!!
Except us small group of audiofiles who are anal about the set-up...
The funny part is how anal some of us are in setting up our phono stages with such high precision to the RIAA curve....
Reality slapped me in the face when i actually worked on a number of cutting heads and cuting amps.... the inverse RIAA curves were not always correct and the parts used and the tolerances were not always good... In some cases the vertical and horizontal amps had different brand parts......
SOme of the German made stuff was actually impressive and well made...provided it was well maintained over the years....
But it seemed like VTA and RIAA acuracy was all "subjective" to who-ever set-up the cutting lathe....basically a big joke and the joke is on us...
To be fair there are a few companies that specialize in very carefull cutting of vinyl who do take the time to do things correctly but this is not the norm...

Chris
Old 13th December 2006, 09:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Yes, you're absolutely right about record cutting standards. Just about none are really cut to the RIAA angle - even lathes that were supposed to be cutting at 25 degrees weren't in reality. Anyway, for the true nerd part of the fun is finding out just how an ancient, mass produced bit of plastic stands up to the "perfect" products of the computer age - not how bad an LP is but how good.

I think the ultimate example of "standards" is maybe the '78 record.
Guys who are serious about transcribing these say thet almost none are actually made at that speed and they can vary from maybe 60-something to nearly 90! I remember talking to someone who was transferring some important old recordings using really good gear and the expensive "cedar" software and he said that his problem with determining the actual speed of the cutting was to discover the pitch the orchestra (I think the Vienna Phil) had tuned to.

Against that the famous Atlanic Records lathe angles pale to insignificance.

As for turntable clamps, I've been using one for ages and I'm convinced that they do make a difference. I also think that it's important that it's either threaded or colleted onto the spindle, rather than just being a weight plonked on the record. This opens the way for endless nerd discussions (i'm guilty here) about grounding and paths and stuff.

I remember back at the dawn of the Teres project the rim clamp/weight was discussed a lot and it seems like a very good idea but, in practical terms, it's very hard to make compared to the regular clamp and probably a pain to use.

I'm in the process of re-working all the stuff on my old site onto the link below, so it's all a bit flakey at the moment, but I hope to be able to start to collect some useful opinions on this stuff there soon.

regards, Jeff
PS - Yeah, start and finish diameters. These are important for us when setting up any turntable, 'cos they effect the null points for the cartridge. So many engineers went outside the standards in order to squeeze that extra minute onto the side because I reckon they felt it was better than having to reduce the groove pitch and either reduce the dynamics or risk pre-echoes etc.
Old 13th December 2006, 11:56 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hey Aengus,

Quote:
Did you end up making a reflex clamp?...I don't recall seeing anything about record clamps there to date
I haven't made the clamp yet, but I have threaded the spindle in preperation.

Have fun and good luck with your project..we can't have to many diy tables around.

Hide this!Advertise here!