vintage 2nd hand TT in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AudioFreak said:
Hi Hamish,

At this point I'll settle for whatever I can get my hands on. I tend to agree that most of what is commonly available here is junk. I dont care if I have to purchase from somewhere interstate. Whatever I end up with, I would prefer to use a MM cartridge.
Ebay and / or classifieds (trading post) and patience. I've found some excellent TTs that way at some great prices: a Townshend Rock, two SP10s (still have these 3), 2 LP12s, several Thorens, a Revox B295 and a Garrard 301. All in excellent condition (I don't buy crap) and most at excellent prices. Many were luck, that I found when I went to look at other gear, and made offers that were accepted, but one of the Linns was a late model with a great arm and a near new Denon 103D for $A500 bought from the Trading Post in Sinny.

Note: with eBay, make sure (via email) that you're dealing with someone who knows how to pack a TT. It's a real art, and takes a lot of time. Insure it well for the trip.

Garage sales are another possibility, if you have the time (I don't), but one tip is, do not ring and ask first if they have something you want. The canny ones will perceive higher value, and price them higher. Most people, however, think TTs have gone the way of the dinosaurs and are glad to get "rid of that old thing". For gargae sales, you just have to do the legwork.

For all TT's, it helps to know what is good, and the faults they can have, spares availability etc, so you don't buy a dog. Also, don't rely on the info at Asylum vinyl, because whilst there are still a few knowledgable and experienced people there, there's been an influx of morons over the last year, and the better posters have just quietly left. The SNR is <i>very</i> low.

If you want an MM cart, go for a Shure M97xE ($US80 ish + post), if you have an arm that can deal with them. Grado's might be better for the compatibility of many arms, but aren't to my taste personally. The Black however is a price/performance bargain at about $A70. I'm sure there are others too.

Good luck
Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brett said:
Note: with eBay, make sure (via email) that you're dealing with someone who knows how to pack a TT. It's a real art, and takes a lot of time. Insure it well for the trip.

That is not an understatement. It is so much work that i have almost given up selling TTs on eBay (Linns are an exception because you can buy an empty factory packing box... my last one is in transit to Hong Kong).

It is a shame too... there are a lot of good TTs in this neck of the woods.

If you want an MM cart, go for a Shure M97xE ($US80 ish + post), if you have an arm that can deal with them. Grado's might be better for the compatibility of many arms, but aren't to my taste personally. The Black however is a price/performance bargain at about $A70. I'm sure there are others too.

I'm a Grado fan, so heartily recommend one.

dave

AudioFreak,
i've got an old Dual here you can have for bugger all. probably not the best of them (1009), but it got me started on vinyl.

also, i've just picked up an old technics sl-2000. i don't want to get it to the whole argument about DD/BD, jap/euro. people have their preferences and so be it. but i need a cartridge and i am leaning toward the grado black for said cost/performance ratio. any other suggestions that come close in that price bracket? and will it work ok in the technics?

thanks,
Hamish

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.