Portable vinyl playing solution suggestions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2006, 08:38 AM   #1
kaban is offline kaban  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Portable vinyl playing solution suggestions?

Hello!

I am currently travelling (and regularly travel due to my job) and what I want to do is make a great portable analogue rig that is small, light, sounds good and doesn't trash all the lovely records I buy.

What I am going to purchase is a Numark PT01 , would I be right in saying this turntable is ideal? It's small, portable, has stereo outs, and looks well built enough not to ruin the record. I am just going on what I have read on the 'net about it. I have read some customer reviews but I am not so sure of their accuracy. Do you know about any other quality portable that could fit the bill? After a fair bit of searching, this looked like the best option for what I was after.

I am then going to compliment this with an amplifiier, most likely a Sonic Impact amp (of course!) and maybe some Sonic Impact Soundpax

This system will mainly get use in Hotel rooms so I want the sound to be full and detailed as possible, volume is not an issue (don't want to get thrown out or anything!) I know, given the nature that this is really a portable player and not something high end, I wont get "pristine" sound, but as long as it doesnt ruin the records played on it, I am ok with that.

Any suggestions, improvements, etc welcome! :-)
Old 29th November 2006, 08:59 AM   #2
es44 is offline es44  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Have you considered the possibility af your precious vinyl getting damaged by traveling that much ?
I would go for a transfer of the vinyl to cd, actually i do that today for "everyday use", don't want to wear my old records more than neccesary.
If done without too much declick etc. i think the result is quite satisfying, illusion af vinyl is somewhat preserved. It's great for the car cd player too

Best regards
Ebbe
Old 29th November 2006, 12:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello,
One possibility is the Audio-technica 'sound burger'-

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/11/sound_burger_vi.html

Alternativeley, a Dolby S cassette deck, with some Chrome cassettes gives good results in my experience- I have a 3-head Sony. Also, the sound is not too bad when playing back through Dolby B- good for Walkman/in-car tape playing.

James
Old 29th November 2006, 03:55 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Get yourself a "MP3" player, personally I use variable bit rate WMA.
Copy your albums into your laptop/PC with a decent turntable at
CD quality and convert those to seperate WMA files.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=mp3&doy=29m11

Would hold about 20 albums or more at 135 to 215 kbits/sec
VBR, around 14 at best quality VBR (240 to 355 kbits/sec).

Could simply use a laptop with the sonic-T or a ~ 1GB "MP3" player.

I wouldn't consider carting around LP's and a poor quality turntable.

/sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!