Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2006, 06:49 PM   #1
matt09 is offline matt09  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Boot Legging Mic Project Ideas

Hello,

Im looking to do some good quality stereo mic'ing for concerts using a mini disk player. So far I have been using a modified Zen Micro mp3 player with external mono mic socket with a high quality omni-directional mic attached to a simple potential divider which worked pretty well with moderate bass. However the quality was only 64kbps.

I was hoping someone may have or know the schematic for this or something similarly effective.http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com...edbattery1.htm

I emailed the founder of that site, Darren however it seemed his way of not wanting to tell me was to play dumb or state the obvious...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 21st November 2006, 06:00 AM   #2
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/mic/mic.htm
http://orca.st.usm.edu/~jmneal/preamp1.htm
Old 21st November 2006, 04:05 PM   #3
matt09 is offline matt09  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response, I have read through the info on those links, however I don't think a pre amp is what's needed, Darren from Giant Squid Audio confirmed this. I don't know what he is using, there is obviously more to it than just a bass roll off and attenuation? Does anyone have one who wouldnt mind taking the cover off to have a look whats happening or any other ideas?
Old 22nd November 2006, 05:44 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The first circuit in the first link is going to be very near the Squid.

/sreten.
Old 24th November 2006, 07:34 AM   #5
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Pretty much identical. But whats wrong with your existing microphone? Isnt the issue with the recording device?

To confirm the obvious just in case: the function of that circuit, with the battery and all, is to provide the bias voltage required by that particular type of microphone. That's it. As stated on the web page it isnt a preamp. If your mic runs without a bias, its not something you need.

Hide this!Advertise here!