Pics of modded pioneer TT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2006, 09:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pics of modded pioneer TT

Just thought some may be interested in this modded early pioneer TT, a PL513X, here is the original TT and the next post is the modded one, it has roughly 50 mods in total and sounds really sweet.....total cost for TT including mods, cart and preamp..roughly $120.00 OZ dollars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crw_8863.jpg (23.1 KB, 422 views)
Old 7th November 2006, 09:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

and here is the modded version, not yet finished but pretty close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1939.jpg (29.7 KB, 482 views)
Old 12th November 2006, 11:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My goodness, it hardly looks like the original! What is all that stuff? How does it help the turntable? You'll have to excuse me if these questions sound a bit dumb but I am not a super knowledgeable hifi connaisseur.
Old 12th November 2006, 11:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

no excuse needed, yes it hardly look like it and it sure doesn't sound anything like it.

The big round disc on the front is a DIY record clamp, which sits there between plays, the large round alloy piece on top of the arm pivot weights the vertical bearing, it stop bearing chatter and improves the bass, crude but very effective.

The little disc on the far back corner is a bibble level which fits over the spindle to check the TT is level before playing, but I don't check it that often. The cork stops the deck soaking up airborn soound and injecting it into the plinth (it has non slip runnber matting under the board to help with this). The cedar outer panels do a similar thing.

The tape on the tonearm cuts resonance.

The cork on the headshell cuts resonances as well

The feet stop feedback of bass notes into the TT

There is also a small artists brush on the back of the TT for stylus cleaning.

There are I think over 50 mods to this TT and still going, if you want to see a list of the main mods that deal with resonances and feedback go to this link.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/vi...r=asc&start=10

Thanks for your interest

Hide this!Advertise here!