Need advice on old turntables.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you have any idea what this thing could be worth? I paid €5.:D It looks like new!:)

I'm happy like a kid that just got a new toy.:D
I never had a turntable that was worth looking at. I realy have the feeling, this one is realy nice.

Didn't have the chance to hook it up to the rest of the set. That's something for tomorrow.:)

Seems decent enough but not enough to appeal to vinyl fans.

Apparently has a cast metal plinth, which is nice.

With a fast start motor probably appeal to DJ's more,
seems to be relatively very good in this context.

If the plinth is a substantial metal casting then its worth
at least 100 euros for DJ'ing, a bit more if the motor has
a very good fast start, the apparent variable speed is
needed, but its not as ergonomic as a Technics slider.

:) sreten.

Attachments

• sony_psx4.jpg
    sony_psx4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 391
Thanks for the info.

Could you have a look at new the topic I started (Sony PS-X4 turntable)? I have a (maybe) dumb question there.

The plinth is indeed cast metal.

Well, I'm not a real vinyl fan but I like to play a record onces in a while. Just because it has something "warm", "nostalgic" to it. Now if I could make it sound acceptable too it could get interesting.:)

Before I used an Akai turntable with a plastic plinth, nothing to adjust needle pressure, no anti skating, very bad belt driven table.

Oh I forgot to mention that this one has a Lenco anti static mat and a Lenco brush attached to the lid.

Compared to that, this is a beauty.:D

Hi Roddy :D)and others:devily:

don't you just love these bun fights about dd/bd that get started by grumble tt users , you know the one I mean , yeah thats the one that uses a hard rubber wheel that has so many flat spots on it , it sounds like a succession of flat wheeled cars going by.(talk about cogging jeeez)
mind you the others with their lurch ,slip, grip beltsand multi poled asynchronise motors chasing the mains aren't that much better especially the bouncing betty one with the spring suspension and all were a whole lot more bothersome than cogging which is inaudible and around -120 db prevalent in early cheap dds' ,but what the hell you pays your money and you makes your choice and if you can live with it lifes sweet.
so I'll be joining you and turf out my MS BD and SP10 MKIII and go back to playing me old banjo.

THE SP 10 RULES LONG LIVE DD:smash: :smash: :smash:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Joebob :)

As for the cartridge you mentioned the Empire 4000 DIII used a Shibata type stylus and was introduced in the days of "4 channel sound" of which there were 3 versions.
They were SQ (Columbia and others) QS (Sansui) and CD4 (JVC)
and was required if you had CD4 type LPs' as the signal had to be "demodulated " to get back the rear channel information so the cart had a freq. response to in excess of 50khz. Works fine on all LPs' of course. and was the Top end Empire of that time(mid 70's) and superior to any V15 MKIII. If your DAD will part with the Technics go for it or shop around for a better DD or BD TT
and avoid the plastic junk of which there are mountains of.

Belt drive???

Ladies and gentlemen,

Seems a bit weird replying to a long dead post. However my brother bought a Kenwood (trio) KD500 DD turntable in a junk shop in Windsor (Home of the Queen, not Canada), about 20 years ago for £90, with SME 3009 Mk2, and nagoka cartridge. I still have the TT, with a Goldring 1042 on the arm, and it still sounds delicious. I swapped it with his for my systemdek (rega copy) BD when the belt went west. This was in pre interweb days, and I couldn't get a new belt anywhere.

With the current trend for DD turntables, even SL1200's are going up in price, and Garrard 301/401's Thorens 124/125's are £500+, there are other options to belt drive if you look around with an open mind to some of the quality products about in the late 80's. My Kenwood is still going strong, and has out lastest more exotic TT's for a fraction of the price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.