Need advice on old turntables.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice on old turntables.

chrisb said:

Brett - sorry to contradict you, but between Planet 10 & myself we've heard or owned the following over the years:

Owned:
ARX,stock arm, .... Rega P3/RB250/Sumiko Blue Point Special, AudioNote IQII

Somewhere along the line, also ran Grace 707 arms, Dyanvector Ruby MC and several models of Grado pickups

Extensively listened to:
all of the above in different systems,....etc.
I'm sure I've missed a few

With the exception of the long defunct Cotter table, I've yet to hear any direct drive that can sonically match a good belt drive, while the KD500 with a damping mat or platter treatment was pretty decent, the stock arms were nothing great.

There are literally tonnes of still decent sounding used TT out there, you don't even to look at E-bay - start with your local pawn/thrift/repair shops, then check for trade-ins at your hi-fi shop. (Hint, if they don't have a used department, look elsewhere to deal)

For the bucks, a good used Rega 2 with a decent MM (Grado/Goldring, etc) would be hard to beat;
Another sleeper was a model of Technics belt drive (SL23?). Clean the belt, clean & lubricate the bearing, and damp the platter with dynamat , and you'll have decent tunes for cheap bucks.
Chris, Dave,

I have no doubt that you guys have heard a truck load of turntables over the years. I too have heard many TT’s/base/arm/cartridge/cable/etc… combinations, as I sure Brett and Eric have. The fact remains that you have not heard what we have heard, and never will. For that reason it is a bit narrow of you to vehemently discount our experiences. Did the Linn/Basik/whatever sound better then my Technics? Yes, marginally, but not enough to spend $1500 20 years ago (even though I may have wanted to). Everything I listened to was compared to my setup, but unless there was a particularly good deal or the sound was exceptionally better, I stayed with what I had. I never found that particularly good deal or exceptionally better sound.

Did I not hear what I know I heard?

The value that JoeBob is looking for is available in the suggestions presented by Brett Eric and me.

Rodd Yamashita

chrisb said:

Brett - sorry to contradict you, but between Planet 10 & myself we've heard or owned the following over the years:
Chris, BFD.
You're not the only one who's owned or used a lot of different top end TT's over the years, and I could probably produce a list as comprehensive as yours, but I just can't be bothered. We obviously have different opinions. That does not make you correct, so just put it away.

My opinion of my (modified) SP10 is based upon it's use <i>today</i> verses my Gyro and Rock. Recently two people I know compared a modified SP10 with an SME10, and whilst they could hear the difference between to two, would not have liked to bet on the majority preference in a shootout.

Whatever.

Ah, the old DD/BD argument again. FWIW i've also owned/still own a lot of the TTs mentioned above. Also the 'yummy' L07. It does great for LP/CD transfers in my setup. Do i listen to it? No. In fact it is the main reason i never bought the SP 10 - couldn't face another DD disappointment. It all boils down to personal sound preferences - and that's great!

peter

My Grammo Phone

I have Sony Direct Drive PS-X4 -see picture.
Have no plans whatever to buy a new Turntable.

At arm ending there is a round jack,
where the cartridge holder, marked Sony fits in.
4 small pins provide the electric contact
the plug has an diameter of 8 mm.

This cartridge holder has two screws holding the pickup.
Pickup is an Audio-Technica. Cannot see any model number.
Upper part is gold-color, while the needle part is dark red.

Can anybody tell me some alternative Pickups/cartridges
that I could fit in this Arm?

Shell weight is 10.5 gram.
According to Manual I can use Pickups 2.5-14.5 gram

I use a Nokia Carbon Fiber Record Brush
and Anti-Static Record Mat - also with carbon fibres in it.

/halo - needs some good advice

Attachments

• sony_psx4.jpg
    sony_psx4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 574
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice on old turntables.

roddyama said:
Did the Linn/Basik/whatever sound better then my Technics? Yes, marginally, but not enough to spend $1500 20 years ago

Jeez 20 years ago a Linn with a much better arm (i don't think the Basik was out) cost about $1500 CAD -- and even then the CAD dollar was worth less than the USD so they were paying you to take the Technics? :D

I probably would have done that deal too.

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice on old turntables.

planet10 said:

Jeez 20 years ago a Linn with a much better arm (i don't think the Basik was out) cost about $1500 CAD -- and even then the CAD dollar was worth less than the USD so they were paying you to take the Technics? :D

I probably would have done that deal too.

dave
Dave,

In the early 80’s the Linn Sondek was going for about $1000 USD, and the Basik arm was about $150 (the Ittok arm was about $500 or $600). If you go with the Basik and add the cables, cartridge leads, carbon fiber headshell, mat, arm plate, and cartridge, you’re probably up around $1700 USD. Then you add in a little 10% discount for a regular customer and it’s pretty close to $1500 USD (lot of competition in those days). I could do a Rega Planar 2 or 3 for about $1000 complete. I did the Technics and the Grado with CF headshell, leads, cables, and mat for about $600. And those are 1980 USD's.:eek:

The Linn Sondek/Ittok/Asak system, with today’s electronics, would probably sound a whole lot better then it did playing through the old PS Audio, Conrad Johnson, or SL-10 (sorry Mr. Pass). Although the Naim stuff sounded pretty good. I will go back at my TT after I get through my Aleph5/AlephX stage. Who knows, maybe then I’ll finally get my Linn TT.:D

Rodd Yamashita

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice on old turntables.

roddyama said:
you’re probably up around $1700 USD. Then you add in a little 10% discount for a regular customer and it’s pretty close to $1500 USD (lot of competition in those days). I could do a Rega Planar 2 or 3 for about $1000 complete. I did the Technics and the Grado with CF headshell, leads, cables, and mat for about $600.

I sold Linns & Regas up until 1981, and they weren't that expensive up here in Canada. And since neither of the two arms you mention were out yet, your shopping must have happened at least a couple years later.

Who knows, maybe then I’ll finally get my Linn TT.:D

I've owned many of those (13, 14, 15?). the latest just went off to Hong Kong (too poor to keep it :bawling: )

dave

Since you think highly of the grados and they have a low price they're right up my alley. I just checked the grado website and it seems those cartridges are still in production, is this correct? Does anyone know of a place where I can order one of these on the internet? Things are always cheaper on the net and shipping should be minimal. As for a TT, I'll shop locally.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JoeBob said:
Since you think highly of the grados and they have a low price they're right up my alley. I just checked the grado website and it seems those cartridges are still in production, is this correct? Does anyone know of a place where I can order one of these on the internet? Things are always cheaper on the net and shipping should be minimal. As for a TT, I'll shop locally.

The black & the green are current production. An online source is The Needledoctor and if you want to stay inside Canada call Don at Sound Hounds 250 595 HiFi.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JoeBob said:
Things are always cheaper on the net and shipping should be minimal. As for a TT, I'll shop locally.

If the local dealer sells them and can properly set up the TT then it would be worthwhile buying locally (i don't know about elsewhere, but here in Victoria, the local shop, Sound Hounds, won't let a TT out of the store un-setup -- that loss-leader (N/C) has paid them huge dividends)

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice on old turntables.

planet10 said:

I sold Linns & Regas up until 1981, and they weren't that expensive up here in Canada. And since neither of the two arms you mention were out yet, your shopping must have happened at least a couple years later.
dave
Dave,

Actually, My SL1700 was already out of production in about 80 – 81. It was for that reason I happen to get about 40% off the near $400 list price. See the Linn tone arm listing in Audio Annual Equipment Directory for ’81. It’s a little blurred, but you can see both the Ittok and the Basik.;) Maybe your supplier was holding out on you guys.:eek:

Rodd Yamashita:santa2:

Attachments

• tt_arm_audio.jpg
    tt_arm_audio.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 471
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice on old turntables.

roddyama said:
See the Linn tone arm listing in Audio Annual Equipment Directory for ’81. It’s a little blurred, but you can see both the Ittok and the Basik.;) Maybe your supplier was holding out on you guys.:eek:

Or they could have been brand new -- i finished in Mar 1981 and didn't pay much attention to the hifi end for sometime after that (i took a year off compliments of Unemployment Insurance)

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need advice on old turntables.

planet10 said:

Or they could have been brand new -- i finished in Mar 1981 and didn't pay much attention to the hifi end for sometime after that (i took a year of compliments of Unemployment Insurance)

dave
Yeah, the Annual always came out in Oct. of the year and the arms aren't in the 80' edition.:)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: My Grammo Phone

halojoy said:
I have Sony Direct Drive PS-X4 -see picture.
Have no plans whatever to buy a new Turntable.

At arm ending there is a round jack,
where the cartridge holder, marked Sony fits in.
4 small pins provide the electric contact
the plug has an diameter of 8 mm.

This cartridge holder has two screws holding the pickup.
Pickup is an Audio-Technica. Cannot see any model number.
Upper part is gold-color, while the needle part is dark red.

Can anybody tell me some alternative Pickups/cartridges
that I could fit in this Arm?

Shell weight is 10.5 gram.
According to Manual I can use Pickups 2.5-14.5 gram

I use a Nokia Carbon Fiber Record Brush
and Anti-Static Record Mat - also with carbon fibres in it.

/halo - needs some good advice
Halo,

Edit: JoeBob, In staying within the subject of the original post, this should be good for you as well.

Most of the popular cartridges will fit your tone arm. I would replace the headshell with a lighter carbon fiber type (See mine below). The Jap “S” arms are too heavy for the low compliance cartridges. The lighter headshell should be enough to move the resonance up out of the record warp range (shoot for 8Hz to 12Hz tone arm/cartridge resonance).

For more in see this thread on setting up a tone arm. It has input from most of the heavy hitters.:smash:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6352&highlight=setup+tone+arm

Attachments

• grado_01.jpg
    grado_01.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 485
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.