question about cartridge for rega p2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2006, 06:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default question about cartridge for rega p2

I just purchased a rega planar2 tt on ebay without a cartridge for the installed linn basik tonearm. Not being terribly familiar with this equipment, can someone give me some advice on a good choice for a cartridge. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I am not sure of what model linn basik tonearm it is but view the attached photo.

bluvenom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8b_3.jpg (83.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 15th October 2006, 08:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

bluvenom,the arm on your P2 is the Linn LVV.It is discontinued but in its time it had the reputation of THE budged arm.The next model up was LVX and Basic Plus.LVV is a good match although P2 usually comes with Regas own RB250.Anyway,a logical choice for cartridge would be something from Linn,Rega,and if you can find a Nagaoka MP11.
Old 15th October 2006, 09:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Don't buy a cartridge with that may be known for poor shielding. I'm running a Grado Black on my P2 and it stinks.... it sounds OK but it is way 'hummy'.

I have heard that this is attributed to there being no metal in the platter + AC motor = HUMMMMMMMMMMM
Old 15th October 2006, 09:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

mpmarino,is your P2 with Rega RB250 tonearm?
Old 15th October 2006, 09:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No, I have a Linn Basik PLUS. The issue has to do with proximity between the motor and cart.
Old 15th October 2006, 10:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

mpmarino,the basik plus has a short ground wire close to the arm base and one with the rca plugs.Are you using both?
Old 15th October 2006, 10:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes and no

I have tried every conceivable grounding option. Grounded/not grounded/grounded here-there-everywhere/ground straight to headshell etc etc ETC!

The problem is induced at the cartridge. I've removed the arm and used it as a wand.

This with more than one system.

THREAD STARTER...FYI: I'm not trying to hijack your thread. Kick me out if you want But who knows, it may help us both

Hide this!Advertise here!