Linn LP12 Files Archives

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Since I just bought a new toy, a rather nice Linn Soundek LP12, I did a lot of search on the subject and compiled my findings.

In particular I was searching for the dealer Setup and Tuning Manual. It is here. It even includes the Vahalla schematic that I search for some time. The final touch, I did a cover sheet and an index table in Word if you want to assemble a nice book of all these subject. These info are all available for free on the net and I should be public domain. It produces a book of about 1 inch, printed double sides.

It includes the following:
1. LP12 – Brochure, Ittok Brochure
2. The Vinyle Engine – Presentation, Update History, Tonearm
3. The Vinyle Engine – LP12 FAQ
4. Replacement of a Linn MC Cartridge Procedure
5. Ittok Tonearm, Set-Up Manual, Template & Tonearms Database
6. LP12 – User Manual
7. Linn Soundek LP12 – Setting Up & Tuning Instructions
8. LP12 – Instruction & Installation Manual (Original 1973)
9. LP12 – Set Up Manual (20 pages)
10. Schematics : Vahalla PS & LP12
11. Reviews
12. Vanden Hul D-502-Hybrid – Tonearm cable
13. Denon AU-320 – MC Step-Up Transformer
14. LP12 – Recommended Components – Discussion
15. TurnTable Adjustment & Catridge Alignment

You can get it from here:
Linn_lp12.Zip by Bigupload.Com

It may be usefull to other diy guys ;)

Have fun

a) I have only compared (that is, replaced) my old Valhalla and it seems the new Hercules is better, gives a steadier sound
b) dunno what the issues would be, but it plays 45 rpm fine, some think the blue LED is annoying, my turntable is wall-mounted and high, so it doesn't bother me
For the money it is worth a try - it surely can't be worse than a Valhalla
Do a search on the forum at www.pinkfishmedia.net, Hercules has been discussed there, too.
Happy New Year to you all!

Power Supply Test points

I have downloaded the Archive great information, but I am trying to repaire my Vahalla power supply but cannot find any test point voltages on the circuit diagram I downloaded. Can anyone help or point me to further information??

THx
Satboy

I just rebuilt my Valhalla power supply. Usually the ps doesn't die completely. As long as the motor will turn even weakly then the board is generally intact and just producing under voltage. The output voltage is on the negative end of the 47uF capacitor that is lying parallel to the length of the board. The factory sets it at 85V AC but the motor run quieter at less than that according to the technicians at Linn. I set mine about 80 V. The HV reading you get off the positive terminal of the bridge rectifer should be about 320V DC. The first point to check Vdd is at the 220uF capacitor. It is usually around 10 V. The most common things to go on the board are the filter caps for the power supply and the output coupling cap which are 47uF/250V and all the electrolytic signal coupling and decoupling capacitors. I believe there are about five of them. They are either 22uF or 1uF. I replaced mine with tantalums @ 25V rating. The other item that sometimes goes is the surge protector. It is low value resistor. I believe it is about 27 ohms. The other items that always look damaged but are usually OK are the power resistors which are the voltage dividers for the low voltage supply. They get pretty hot. They are constantly dissipating about 1.7 watts. They should be 15K. The only thing gone on my board were the capacitors. I was up and running again in no time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.