Idea for TT feet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2006, 12:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Idea for TT feet

One of the mods I have come up with for my TT are these feet. I,m sure someone else has probably done the same thing but it may help someone. It is very effective and cheap.

The answer 4 soft squash ball (approx $12.00), 4 supports used for concrete mesh (50cents each at the hardware store) and some non slip runner matt glued to the base of the supports.(too cheap to count).

The balls fit nicely in tot he holes in the current feet on my table, the supports hold the ball firmly at 4 points. I can bang on the bench the TT sits on and nothing is transferred.

Have fun spinning those black discs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1813.jpg (30.4 KB, 597 views)
Old 16th September 2006, 11:52 AM   #2
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

hi Zero One,

looks ugly too.......besides being effective and cheap
just kidding, thanks for an inspiration
i will try those squash balls

keep on spinnin'
Old 16th September 2006, 01:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah not the best look but 've got used to them, however I reckon a can of satin black spray paint would help the look heaps, I'll try it soon.

Brad.
Old 8th October 2006, 07:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Zero One,I won't tell you they look bad!!!!!!!!!But can you tell us what material are the supports made of?
Old 8th October 2006, 07:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'd put a thick slab of ply or hardwood on the squash balls, and if the TT has compliant feet, replace them with solid cones.

If too much mass, add a 5th or even 6th squash ball, and move them around to get the platform level.

Also, I prefer the idea of allowing the balls to 'roll' to a greater extent, restraining them only with dimples, or dots of glue on the bottom surface, which will give better lateral and rotational isolation.
Old 10th October 2006, 12:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

HI Panicos

The supports are made of plastic and the bottom has some non slip rubber matting glued on, they are very stable this way. I have now used this set-up on two turntables, it has proved amazingly effective. More mods are in the wings however and I will post when done.

By the way squash balls come in different hardnesses and you need harder balls for heavier tables.

Aleksunder thanks for you ideas, I will have a play with that to, I think having a dual platform of hard heavy board over several balls and then my supports on top of that might work really well.
When you look at really high end TTs a recurring theme seems to be several layers/levels of isiolation.

Bottom line this approach is cheap so we can easily afford to experiment.
Old 10th October 2006, 10:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Idea for TT feet

Hello Zero One,I would agree with Aleksunder but also try the squash balls on the TT as you have them now and the solid feet-metal or spikes - on the plywood slab.

Hide this!Advertise here!