boxing your TT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over the last month or so I have been experimenting a lot with tweaking one of my TT, an aiwa 2400 direct drive. Not a great table but good for experiemnting. The results have been terrific, quite incredible how small changes reap big benefits but there is one aspect I have wondered about.

I have the TT really well isolated from the bench and damped the chassis and all sorts of things, but when you put a finger very lightly on the top panel or the sides you can feel the slightest vibration that goes insynch with the bass lines in the music. This is not transmitted from the bench, it does not exhibit any vibration at all, it is air borne from the sound.

My point is that while I cant really hear any audible effects I imagine they are there at a low level muddying up the sound on complex and loud passgages etc so this got my wondering.

What if a box were contructed around the TT with a sound proofing liner and sealed closing top, would this soleve the problem and take the sound quality higher still. I hae seen boxes built around noisy printers etc in the past and they certainly contained the noise to the item, so I reckon it would work in reverse.

Surely someone has tried this and may have a opinion or some findings. If such a thing worked well it would be possible to intergrate it into the cabinite for my sound sytem when I buid it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.