Thorens motor runs backwards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FWIW -- I give my Thorens a spin in the correct direction -- it sits right adjacent to the computer workstation, is quite ancient, and in almost constant use.

OT -- must have been designed by the same engineers who worked on my 500E wagon -- the rear wiper works bass ackwards. Maybe it was after lunch on a Friday that they assembled it.

I should dig out my old heavy metal stuff! LOL!

I've tried giving it a push, doesn't seem to matter, it either plays right or doesn't. I hadn't thought of oiling - could that really cause this?

so, two votes for the start cap...someone else fingered the resistor. I'll take a look at the electronics and maybe try to the cap this weekend.

thanks all!

Hi,
I don't think it is a start cap.

I think the synchronous motor is a two phase device that needs the leading phase from the cap connection as well as the standard phase from the direct connection. Then it runs.
But why backwards.
Could the connections into the two phases have been swapped? or would that cause backwards always?

sounds to me like the phases are out of alignment with each other. I think I'd go for the phase shift cap first. Its also very cheap fix! If you can't get a .22uF cap, then 2 x .1uF in parallel will do the job nicely.

Its not that big a deal, you can stop the platter and give it a shove in teh right direction and it will run. However, it would be very easy to drop the needle on the platter and not notice it was running in the wrong direction with doom ahead for the cart!

Fran

Just to let you know that I did a bit of looking at my ariston rd80sl last night and found that if I switched the motor pos leads around (i.e one goes through the capacitor, one straight from power in) I could make the motor always start in one direct or the other. It might be worth your while to try this too,

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.