Pioneer RT-707 Troubleshooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all,

I recently aquired my dad's old RT-707. It's in beautiful condition and still sounds excellent, however i'm having a minor problem with the playback of the reels. It'll play for a couple minutes, but then the supply reel will slowly wobble off the track until the tape pops off the spindles and runs backwards. Same thing happens if i reverse sides, the tape will start coming off the feeder reel.

I'm not sure if perhaps there's a part that i'm missing that maybe helps the reels to stay on while it's playing? If anyone has any input on this it would be great ! Thanks.

Thanks for your help! i've been playing around with it a bit...i got it to stay playing yesterday, but it seems fickle as sometimes it will do it, sometimes it won't. Not sure yet which part is supposed to lock but i'm sure something will give in time. thanks again!

Check to see that the pinch roller (The rubber wheel that "pinches" the tape against a metal capstan) armature movement is smooth and well lubricated. The Pioneer's used to have some lubrication issues like the Teac's.

Just to ask again what the specific issue is. Is the tape being spat out of the tape path, or is the reel of tape falling off of the reel table/spindle?

thanks guys! i actually got it up and running. the problem was similar to what jrevillug said. there was a part of the spindle on the supply reel that pulls out and then twists to lock it in. took me a minute (or more) to figure this out finally, but it did the trick. thanks again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.