Russco Studio Pro B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When disco hit in the 70s, I used Russco TT's for many installations. Back then about the only thing available that would draw an experienced DJ was a 'radio station' TT. That is, the only DJs with any experience were those that already worked at a radio station. When they had equipment they were familiar with, it was easier to recruit them. In those days, the whole public, on-a-stage sort of DJ experience was so new that everyone including bar owners would do almost anything to get someone who could get things going.

As for the equipment itself, they were built like tanks and designed specifically to reach operating speed in the shortest amount of time. If its been sitting a while, I'd carefully inspect the spindle's bearing and make sure the sleeve and spindle are clean and lubed. Also, these used rubber-based idler wheels. I'd imagine they will need replacment or refurbishing.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

I have a Russco which is currently in the process of being refurbished. I shall probably replace the high torque AC motor with a smaller, lower noise DC version.
I couldn't find a lot of information, but there's a bit here

The large main bearing and heavy platter surely make them worth tweaking. My first mod was to heavily coat the underside of the platter with damping compound and fit a rubber damping 'belt' to the outer rim: it rings like a bell as standard!

hello together,
i´m owner of a russco studio pro b model. i made a few mods like a new idler-mount, polishing the motor- and platter-bearings, damping of the chassis, rubber-rings on upside of the platter, acrylic tonearm-mount and at least a 50Hz capstan-spindle and 230 V psu, to get best performance.
my opinion is: i´ve never heard a better sounding record player.
this machine is built for eternity and it sounds like this.

here is the link to my diy-report:
http://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=31782

for spareparts like idler-wheels, motor-mounts, etc. search ebay usa for a member named "electrosells". he should have any kind of spareparts.
best regards from germany
jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.