Thorens TD 150 problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had the idea I'd like to start listening to my albums again.
So dragged my 1969 Thorens from it's 15 year sleep fitted a new stylus and plugged in. It sounded great for two albums then the right channel output all but disappeared.
Checked the phono plugs and found a dodgey connection so fixed it. One side of an album later the right channel output went again.
Downloaded the manual and checked the wiring (visually) found a loose connection on one arm- to-cartridge connector so fixed that
and, feeling very pleased with myself in my fledging attempts, got two more albums before it went again.

As you can probably tell I don't really know what I'm doing but the deck sounds great when it's working, I like the challenge and want to learn.

I've checked the rest of the system using an alternative deck and it's fine

The Shure M75 cartridge is probably 20 years old but had little use. Before I go rushing off buying new bits
Do these symptoms sound like a cartridge problem?

Hi,
the cartridge pins may be oxidised. Usually they stay clean where metal to metal contact has been maintained but after 15years even these areas may be needing a good clean.

The VERY fine lead out wires are extremely delicate, take care. Even soldering them following breakage is difficult.

Remove the cart from the headshell to do the cleaning and avoid straining the arm bearings when slackening and tightening the headshell screws. You will need to re-align the cart after re-fitting.

Probably not the cartridge

I had the same problem with a Thorens TD 160 that I couldn't get completely fixed. I eventually put a new arm on and it works fine. Did the same with a TD 150 I found put out for trash and I do like the TD 150 better. One of the best resources for working on your Thorens is:
www.theanalogdept. com
It actually has a section that goes through the steps of rewiring the arm. Those wires are hair thin so it is not for the fumble fingered.
Good luck.

Thorens TD150m problem

Many thanks to both AndrewT and MarkER for their advice
The deck has been working fine since I cleaned the cart pins
Oh yes and I just barely passed the "fumble finger" test.
Having accessed the links you sent me I think I can safely say I'm hooked..next job, refurbishing the platter springs coutesy of a
well written step by step guide.
thanks, again.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.