Recommend a good phono cable for my project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I am looking to make a pair of mono "Y" cables to connect between the tone arm cable and the pre amp so I can FULLY enjoy my mono records.

I have a Tri-Planar arm and I use a LOMC. What brand or type phono cable would you recommend? Are there any benefits or drawbacks going with a shielded cable? The project kinda looks like the pic below.

Thanks for your help!!

Harry

Attachments

• mono y cable.jpg
    mono y cable.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 309
Hi Doqpile,I think a good stereo cartridge does not need to be connected this way in order to play mono records well but yes for your set up you need a good arm cable.I m using a van den hul D501 Silver hybrid with exellent results.It is well shielded and there are no drawbacks when you use shielded cables as long as you use shield correctly.Usually shield is connected on the return tug of the RCA plugs.An even better way is to take shield outside RCA plugs connect both on a flying lead solder a small spade and screw it on your preamps earth terminal.D501 Silver hybrid has pure silver litz conductors while a cheaper option is van den hul D501 hybrid,a silver plated copper version.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.