Demagnetize MM cartridge body??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2006, 01:54 PM   #11
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Demagnetise MM Cart. Body???

Hi

Now we're onto heating up carts, I see? I'm not a member of the CP's (cartridge police) but I don't believe in this either for the simple reason that there are several different types of adhesives used in cartridges. Some of the parts (notably the suspension in mc carts are under tension, carefully set by its manufacturer. Furthermore, part of cart suspensions are butyl rubber - not one particular composition but many different kinds pertaining to the particular cart's manufacturer. "Rubber" will be affected by heat. It will either go softer or harden with heat application. Either way, you will alter the cart's performance with heat application.

Insofar as heat's influence on suspensions go, wires used here are seldom crimped but are bonded with adhesives with highish temperature tolerances. If you apply "heat" here, you will most likely cause a change here too, different to the cart's original adjustment set by its manufacturer as the adhesive will go softer and relax, thus altering the original suspension setting.

bulgin
Old 26th August 2006, 02:09 PM   #12
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hello bulgin,

I hoped you'd respond. I keep a digital thermometer and hygrometer in my listening room. If the temperature falls below 68F and the humidity below 50%, I don't bother with the turntable. If the humidity rises above 60% and the temperature above 75F it's time to see if the neighbours are out so that I can crank it up. As far as I can tell, humidity is more important than temperature. The difference I hear is more than I would expect from the change in HF attenuation in air with temperature/humidity. It's more a reduction in distortion than falling HF. I suspect the rubber bearing in the cartridge. Thoughts?
Old 26th August 2006, 07:49 PM   #13
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Demagnetise MM Cart. Body???

Hello EC

I suppose living in the UK or elsewhere in a cold climate will put a different spin on things. Here in Cape Town, the weather is usually 'moderate' like 40+C outside (+-30) inside in midsummer and as low as 5C outside and around 13C inside in midwinter.

"Ambient" is around 20C everywhere and humidity is not a factor here but will be where you are because of central heating.

Also, if you look at technical data sheets on industrial plastics, these all include water absorbtion specs.

I therefore concede that optimum operating temperature WOULD be influenced in colder (or much hotter) climes than where I am.

I should therefore qualify my initial condemnation of regular heat application by saying this may have merit insofar as bringing a cart's temperature to "ambient", but no warmer for the reasons stated earlier.

bulgin
Old 26th August 2006, 08:00 PM   #14
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for that bulgin. It does seem that the business with temperature etc is a British problem - it's common over here, but not mentioned elsewhere.

Hide this!Advertise here!