turntable platter impedance matching

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the Sota turntable website they describe their design philosophy by saying it is important for the platter to be the same impedance as the record. This creates more questions than gives answers. I have seen pictures of the lathes that cut the vinyl and the table that the record is secured to during the cutting process looks like it is metal, I am guessing an aluminum alloy. Would it not be more correct to be playing a record on the same type of metal as it was being cut on? My theory is by doing this it would give the most sonic simularities to the master tapes from which the record is being cut from. Linn and Thorens use some type of aluminum alloy platter which consists of zinc, magnesium and aluminum. Maybe by using these combination of metals it gives the platter some impedance matching but I do not know for sure. All I know is I have never heard of complaints of Linn and Thorens turntables because of the impedances not matching the platter and record. Are impedances that do not match the platter and record more of an issue for MM or MC cartridges? I used to be an aerospace machinist and I operated lathes that cut metal but do not know how a audio lathe that cuts vinyl works but am sure there are simularities.

Hi,

Its simply a design philosophy, which means its an opinion.

IMO after some experiments the best mats have an impedance
between that of the platter and that of the record, I use a hard
rubber mat with a glass platter.

(edit : the Disk SE2.2 (1kg - 2.2lb) is carefully profiled to match
the profile of a record, e.g. the higher run-in groove is not
contacted, neither is the centre section of the record)

I've tried felt and a homemade acrylic mat, they have signatures.

Also related to this are clamping or centre weight issues.
Checkout Lux vacuum platters for the extreme approach.
Hard bare surfaces need to be maintained scrupulously clean
and simply work poorly if the record is not in intimate contact,
theorectically a large lump of vinyl provides the best matching.

For a decent (but not full on serious) turntable, for ease of use,
cost, convenience and lively signature, felt is near ubiquitous.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.