Advice regarding MC and phono preamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amt said:
Okay, the cartridge that was finally purchased was a Benz Ref 3 Copper. Its specced at .3 mv but its suppose to be slightly less (between .25 and .3)amt

:bigeyes:

amt said:
Can a preamp be eliminated and if so, by using what gain stages?
amt [/B]

Possibly, if you are using an integrated amp.

amt said:
And if a preamp is really a must, if valves are used, will a Phonoclone be appropriate or is it better to use a MM/transformer combo.
amt [/B]

IMHO a Phonoclone wouldn't be appropriate with a Benz Ref 3, but then I've never heard one. I would go tube MM/trans. combo into linestage.

amt said:
And Im still not sure if people use transformers with SS or mostly for tube equipment, due to lower gain and more noise.
amt [/B]

Both.

So are you building or buying? I'd also upgrade the tonearm if your friend is still using the Akito I.

Jeff

He does have an Ittok and not the Akito.

Ideally, he would like to use a passive attentuator and a single MC phono amp. He only listens to vinyl and no other source so a preamp seems extraneous. But Im not sure that scenario will give him enough gain.

Im trying to convince him that DIY can produce a comparable piece of equipment and that commercial products arent necessarily the last word it performance, so DIY is what Im pushing on him.

He would like some tube warmth somewhere in this too. An attentuator on a valve phono amp chassis with tranformers inside would be ideal. Hopefully able to drive SS or a tube amp.

amt

Originally posted by amt
Ideally, he would like to use a passive attentuator and a single MC phono amp. He only listens to vinyl and no other source so a preamp seems extraneous. But Im not sure that scenario will give him enough gain.

Theoretically, this could work if the amp has a very sensitive input section.

Originally posted by amt
Im trying to convince him that DIY can produce a comparable piece of equipment and that commercial products arent necessarily the last word it performance, so DIY is what Im pushing on him.

I agree, but is he really interested in DIY?

Jeff

He's a diyer but just not with electronics yet. Actually, he's going to help me with some carpentry and Im going to help him with his audio build(s).

He seems to be interested in a valve based system but keeps waffling back towards SS for the ease of use and accessibility. I know there are lots of options and opinions, but for someone that ONLY listens to older jazz recordings, and mostly on original pressings, what might be optimal. So far, my research points towards a tube preamp and phono amp with some transformers.

amt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.