Turntable Power Supply DIY needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I would like to find information on Power supplies for Rega Turntables or other turntables that need a 110 V 50HZ voltage to work.
I know that the Heed Orbit power supplies are very good but are very expensive.
They sell at 350 Euro or so.
A DIY project would be what I am looking for.
Does anybody know how you can convert 230V to dc and then produce clean 110Vac and precise 50Hz power?

Linn Valhalla board perhaps?

An option might be to buy a 2nd-hand Linn Valhalla board from an LP12 and use it as the foundation for a DIY PSU. They take 120 or 230v in, and output 50Hz @ about 90v AC, IIRC. Those are on ebay occasionally, and Linn dealers usually have a few lying around, also. Would certainly be simpler than a full DIY approach of something like this. There are examples and circuits (see the book "The LP is Back" for 33/45/variable version) but they are fairly complex beasts.

One thing on the Valhalla boards: make sure a Linn dealer has replaced the resistors that were known to fry on occasion. The original spec was borderline in terms of current/heat dissipation and they asked dealers to replace them when TTs came in for service/adjustments. If you get a board that has darkish coloring around the resistors, and the resistors are sitting close to the board surface, they probably haven't been replaced. The new ones are installed a good 1/2" above the board surface, and are much larger than the originals.

Hope this helps.
Mike

I also built one of these DIY Armageddon boxes, (2 actually, one for me, one for a friend). It's a very simple phase shift circuit, which is the same that's used in the Basic LP12 supply, and also I think it's the same or similar to what's in a Rega. They are cake to build, and do make an amazing improvement to any deck.

What makes this box work its magic is the use of a large, over spec'd isolation transformer that cleans up the incoming mains signal and provides a smooth, low-noise AC waveform. If you're in the UK, the mains frequency by default will be 50hz, 60Hz in the US. As long as the motor pulley is designed for 50Hz, and you only run it in the UK or Europe, the DIY 'Geddon will work fine.

I mention the mains frequency as motor pulleys are designed to only create the correct platter speed with the motor running at a specific mains frequency. Most newer Linn models use a pulley sized for a 50Hz motor, whether intended for US or UK use, and most of their power supplies output 50Hz. There are pulleys sized for 60Hz use, and those are required if you're using the Basic supply, or building a DIY Geddon, in the U.S.

Not sure what Regas use, in the US or elsewhere, perhaps someone else has that info.

HTH

Mike

This is picture of the Rega Planar 3 motor and connections.
Is seems to be a similar motor like in the articles.
btw what do you do with the power switch?
can you use it?
An idea I had was to remotely swith the power supply on and off.

What was very strange is how the motor is hung with a rubber band.
Is the way Rega does that?
I bought my Rega used and I dont know if it was tweaked or not.

Is there a better way to do this?

Attachments

• airpaxregaplanar3lowres.jpg
    airpaxregaplanar3lowres.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 781
promitheus said:
This is picture of the Rega Planar 3 motor and connections.
What was very strange is how the motor is hung with a rubber band.
Is the way Rega does that?
I bought my Rega used and I dont know if it was tweaked or not.
Is there a better way to do this?

Hi,

The rubber band is normal. Rega now use a self adhesive pad. Search.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.