Turntable Power Supply DIY needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2006, 07:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Turntable Power Supply DIY needed

Hello,

I would like to find information on Power supplies for Rega Turntables or other turntables that need a 110 V 50HZ voltage to work.
I know that the Heed Orbit power supplies are very good but are very expensive.
They sell at 350 Euro or so.
A DIY project would be what I am looking for.
Does anybody know how you can convert 230V to dc and then produce clean 110Vac and precise 50Hz power?
Old 14th August 2006, 07:31 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Have you seen Mark Kelly's stuff on Clarisonus?
Old 14th August 2006, 07:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

no actually I dont.
I will try to find something or do you by chance have a link maybe?
Old 17th August 2006, 05:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Linn Valhalla board perhaps?

An option might be to buy a 2nd-hand Linn Valhalla board from an LP12 and use it as the foundation for a DIY PSU. They take 120 or 230v in, and output 50Hz @ about 90v AC, IIRC. Those are on ebay occasionally, and Linn dealers usually have a few lying around, also. Would certainly be simpler than a full DIY approach of something like this. There are examples and circuits (see the book "The LP is Back" for 33/45/variable version) but they are fairly complex beasts.

One thing on the Valhalla boards: make sure a Linn dealer has replaced the resistors that were known to fry on occasion. The original spec was borderline in terms of current/heat dissipation and they asked dealers to replace them when TTs came in for service/adjustments. If you get a board that has darkish coloring around the resistors, and the resistors are sitting close to the board surface, they probably haven't been replaced. The new ones are installed a good 1/2" above the board surface, and are much larger than the originals.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 17th August 2006, 05:51 PM   #5
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi there!

Try doing a Google search for Geddon Clone.

Here's a link which might be of help:

http://www.neilmcbride.co.uk/ttpsu.html

and

http://imageevent.com/sidandcoke/diy...hnwks93.lion_s

I built this PSU for a Rega Planar 3 and it works fantastically well, bettering an LP12 I had!!

Hope this is of some help.

- John
Old 17th August 2006, 06:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

What does it do?
Does it shift phase?
Isnt there something similar in the Rega TT?
It looks pretty simple to me.
Old 17th August 2006, 06:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

How did you connect it to the Rega Planar 3?
I have one and it would be very interesting to try it out.
Old 17th August 2006, 07:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I also built one of these DIY Armageddon boxes, (2 actually, one for me, one for a friend). It's a very simple phase shift circuit, which is the same that's used in the Basic LP12 supply, and also I think it's the same or similar to what's in a Rega. They are cake to build, and do make an amazing improvement to any deck.

What makes this box work its magic is the use of a large, over spec'd isolation transformer that cleans up the incoming mains signal and provides a smooth, low-noise AC waveform. If you're in the UK, the mains frequency by default will be 50hz, 60Hz in the US. As long as the motor pulley is designed for 50Hz, and you only run it in the UK or Europe, the DIY 'Geddon will work fine.

I mention the mains frequency as motor pulleys are designed to only create the correct platter speed with the motor running at a specific mains frequency. Most newer Linn models use a pulley sized for a 50Hz motor, whether intended for US or UK use, and most of their power supplies output 50Hz. There are pulleys sized for 60Hz use, and those are required if you're using the Basic supply, or building a DIY Geddon, in the U.S.

Not sure what Regas use, in the US or elsewhere, perhaps someone else has that info.

HTH

Mike
Old 17th August 2006, 08:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

johnm stated above he used it in the rega.
I was hoping he would answer soon...
I think he will answer. Would like to know how to connect it to my rega.
Old 17th August 2006, 09:09 PM   #10
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hiya!

Here's a link which will explain (with pictures) how to connect everything up to the motor. I copied this exactly and it works like a dream:

http://www.areyoulocal.com/Geddon.asp

Cheers,

- John

Hide this!Advertise here!