Studer A721

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have just repaired this great tape deck, but the display lamp "Luminiscent Lamp A721 part no: 1.721.256.00" is dim. The voltages are OK so I believe it has reached its life-end. Any source to find a replacement? The factory has it, but it costs too much.

Ghianni.

First, have you switched the lamp with another identical lamp elsewhere on the tape machine == perhaps from another channel? That way you can verifiy whether it's the light bulb or something else.

Have you contacted Studer to find out if they can tell you what generic bulb will replace it? I'm sure the bulb is not a custom item.

Incandescent bulbs do not usually grow (noticably) dim with age; they just burn out.

Actually its a foil fluorescent lamp, behind the program meter LCD display, running at about 160 V.

Attachments

• foil_lamp.jpg
    foil_lamp.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 436
Luminiscent Lamp A721

Simply look on eBay or Google for "EL-folie", "Leuchtfolie" or "EL backlight" (e.g. eBay article 150094177479).
You can buy sheets, or strips of 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1", or 2" width.
Cut to the required size and connect the wires.

The price of the Studer/Revox spare part is horrendously expensive, if you can find it.

I have my A721 all apart trying to install my new 'leuchtfolie' bought from a guy in Costa Rica off Ebay. Having some trouble actually getting in to the black plastic surrounding the old luminescent lamp and display - service manual is not much help because it seems it is missing the appropriate section. did you finish your repair? I am working at the grab clips on the back of the panel but it is impossible to open them all at once with only two hands if you know what I mean..

The original foil from Revox is damn expensive with a price-tag of over 150euro!!!
Why not trying using leds back-illuminating the existing foil with a little modification
and that would once and for all solving this dilemma with great saving!
Bearing in mind that leds last almost without end...

Last edited:
In regards to Studer A721 cassette deck meter display. I have replaced the backlight in 4 of these decks with no problems. I used some Electro Luminescent Sheet purchased from RS Components. The part number is 267-8784 which is white in colour. You can get different colours but white worked perfectly. Just cut the sheet to the correct size, connect the wires and reassemble. I replaced them in 2010 and all still working now. Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.