Nelp help on AR turntable - 220V version with 110V Hurst motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Recently I brought a 1986 AR 'The turntabe' from the US Ebay along with an Alphason Xenon arm. This turntable has a back label stated 220-240VAC 50Hz and the turntable was manufactured in the UK, so I thought it can run on the power supply here in Australia. However, when I opened up the bottom cover, I saw an AC motor - model Hurst 3001 with 110VAC and 60Hz on the cover.
Now I am confused......and I would greatly appreciated if anyone can tell me what is going on???
:confused:

I've owned a few of these (UK versions only) and if I remember rightly they all had a 110v/60hz (usually hurst) motor. Like their speakers (cabinets made in UK, US drivers), AR turntables were assembled in the UK using US parts. The woodwork was done here.

In other words, I think it will be fine. Only one way to find out though - plug it in and see!

Thanks guys for the help, really appreciated from a frustrated AR TT owner.
I found a schematic showing the wirings of the power supply and it appears that the schematic is for conversion from 220V to 110V. Sorry that image was too large so I post the thread here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6516

When I compared mine with the diagram it is exactly the same...When you look at the 4 wires coming out of the AC motor, the two blue wires are soldered together to netural 'N' power line while the red and black wires are in connected to L line via a 0.25uf cap. I am not sure what the cap is for and if this is in series or in parallel.
EC8010, thanks for the tips on the motor.....
I am a bit concerned if plugging into 220V socket can kill the motor if it is wired at 110V.
:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.