New Headshell -- too light

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a pretty simple question, I think...main table (for the next few weeks) is an AR XA. I broke the nubs on the cheap plastic headshell, and found a replacement from the XB-77 model -- same geometry but much lighter. While I think the lowered effective mass is a better match for my Grado Prestige cart (and certainly sounds better), it has trouble tracking. I put a dime on the headshell and the tracking force is correct but it still skips, and I lost the improved sonics.

I'm wondering if attaching a weight somehow to the underside of the arm, right in front of the pivot, would retain the low effective mass while increasing the tracking force. I need at least .5 grams of force, and I have no idea what that translates into so far back on the tube. The best I can think of is using a fishing sinker and line.

Obviously, I could get a heavier cart or get the matching aluminum counterweight, but I'm getting a thorens in 2 weeks and this is really a matter of curiosity and fun...plus having an immediate solution so I can play records while I wait.

Thanks to all who answer my silly questions -- keep teaching me and eventually I'll contribute something :)

Hi,

I must be missing something here regarding tracking weight and effective mass.

You should move the arm counterwieght forward to increase tracking weight.

Is the counterweight too heavy to do this ? i.e. already fully forward ?

In this case as a temporary measure you could pack a large blob
of blutack around the armtube in front of the pivot, enough such
that you get enough movement of the counterweight to allow
correct adjustment of tracking force.

:)/sreten.

sreten said:

Is the counterweight too heavy to do this ? i.e. already fully forward ?

Yup
:mad:

I hadn't thought of Blu-tack! Which is weird since I use that stuff for everything. I was hoping to minimize ugliness, and I'm worried that the amount of weight required near the pivot to get a half gram or so at the headshell would require a LOT of blu-tack. But that's probably easier to do that attaching some kind of weight, and quieter. Thanks!

Nat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.