Back to Vinyl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, after digging out my old turntable and getting a phono pre, I'm listening to my old LPs again. Man! The MAGIC!!! The dynamics!!!

But! To get this sound, instead of going directly into my "chipamp" I had to go through the line input of my PC and set the level at about 50%. I've heard that these amps need a pre or a buffer to sound their best but, I don't want to stay PC based. Can anyone suggest a simple circuit to boost the signal? (12 VDC power on the phono pre)

Also, I would very much appreciate if anyone could tell me how to set the tracking force on a Pioneer PL-S70.

Thanks,

I don't know what the sensitivity of the chip amp is. I would guess it's not unlike most modern amps, which makes it ideal for CD players with about 2 Vrms.

Older phono headamps seem to have a gain of 40 db. That will only give a MM cart 0.25-0.4 V. Today's phono headamps have around 55 db. For MC you would need around 75 db.

So first you need to answer these questions: what kind of preamp and cart do you use?

Great DIY options: http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy.html

Hi,

By the sound of it you already have a phono stage, output ~ 200mV,
and you also have a chipamp suitable for CD, i.e. input ~ 2V.

The simplest solution is to add a switch to your chip amp. It controls
a gain setting resistor in the feedback loop, normal or x10. If you've
built a chip-amp it should be easy to work this out. Stability at x10
will be fine (actually much better) but you will get slightly increased
noise, offset and distortion.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.