Replacement drive belts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I would like to get a consensus on replacement drive belts, both for turntables and reel to reels. I have Thorens and Akai.

Anyway, I ordered a replacement belt for the Akai, from the internet, and what I received is a little worrying. It is roughcut, irregular, and my guess is that it may be a section from a motorcycle inner tube (having had experience of such things). I haven't tried to fit it yet. Who knows, it might work OK.

I've read that there are plenty of ill fitting belts out there.

What's the story? how do we get hold of the good stuff?

Cheers, Nam

What about a serious HiFi shop that still sells turntables?

I bought a new belt for my Thorens in what I believe to be one of the most serious shops in Stockholm. They had both original Thorens and a generic brand. I think the generic one was about 11-12 Euro and the original Thorens was around 35 Euro. They didn't think there was any difference between them and suggested I buy the cheaper one, which I did. It is hard or impossible to see any visual difference compared to my old original belt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.