Temporary Phono Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi David,
It's better than nothing. Whether it's useable or not is another question. I would expect a great deal of noise and hum.

Radio Shack used to sell a really inexpensive preamp powered by a 9 V battery. That would work much better than the EQ idea. If you can build a circuit, you could make a temporary unit too. The RS unit is cheaper when you are done.

-Chris

I suspect you have a better idea. I have two urges. One to go back to analog (an antique dealer freind of mine told me I could sample his 500+ LP collection) and another to build a tube project.

I think what I will do is get my present projects completed, then build a little 12AX7 phono pre. If I buy a cheap one first, it might just stay that way. :D

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth Anatech! :bigeyes:

davidlzimmer said:
Can I take an EQ with lots of gain and input the turntable in either the tape or line input and set the controls to simulate an RIAA curve until I build a phono pre?

The reason I ask, instead of just doing, is the EQ is 2 hours away.

Thanks,

Hi,

It would work in a fashion, but one of your problems would be incorrect
cartridge loading. Another would be most EQ's don't have enough range.

:)/sreten.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi David,
Good luck and keep building!

Since you like tubes, get a copy of the Radiotron Designers Handbook, Rev4 (electronic or real). Another great book is Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifiers", available at Amazon.com.

After reading some of RDH4 and Valve Amplifiers, you'll have a much better idea on how to go about designing a good preamp.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi David,
I was born in 1959. I missed all the instruction on tubes that was available to you. You may have old magasines and text books that have most of this info in it.

The Morgan Jones book is a modern look at how to use these devices, with modern semiconductors thrown in to allow some extra tricks. Worth a read or three! ;)

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.