Hard drive motor for turntable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I did make a forum search on this subject. The only information found was about floppy drive used for this purpose. In other thread hard drive was mentioned as good choice for turnatble. I am on the strict budget and electric motors for TT are rather expensive. In this case, I would like to try to use HD motor. I have three motors which came from hard drives. Two of them are from units which were used in servers. I took one drive apart, I removed heads and disks leaving only motor and electronic circuit. Motor works great. It is quiet and has a lot of torque. I think, it can be used with heavier platter. But in this set up motor works for few seconds and stops. After few seconds starts again. It looks like is waiting for the signal from non-existing heads. I would like to build dedicated power supply for this purpose and try to use it in my TT project. Does anyone from members of the forum knows how to build PSU for HD ? What voltage is needed for this purpose: 5V or 12V? Does HD PSU use three-phase supply? ( for the test I have used computer PSU ).
Thanks for the help.

DIY TT motor

Difficult problem I know and your right, the motors are not cheap,
sort of defeats the whole DIY process i have scavengeged a D.C.
motor from a junked el chepo plastic turntable it has all the goodies like speed controll cost me $10 australian ( but it took a while to find it cheap) there is another site ( audio origami , just do a google search) has used a floppy disc drive motor and posted pics and text on how to do it

regards ;)

If it's "only" about finding a suitable motor for driving a turntable - this is not too difficult, at least here in Germany. We have several surplus stores selling goodies like the one on the attached picture. It's a quiet running dc motor with built in speed control, sources from - I don't know, maybe old tape deck production. This one has a 10 mm pulley (perhaps 6mm dia in the gap) and has a nominal speed of 2000 rpm, but this is adjustable. There are numerous tt manufacturers out there using those type of motors. You can get this one for 75 cts. Works like a charm.

Attachments

• bild6437_kopie.jpg
    bild6437_kopie.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,179
Hello, sorry for the late response. I was out of town. Thanks for suggestions. I will try floppy idea. I have older drive for this purpose. I will still try to pursue HD idea. If it could be done with floppy it should be possible with HD. Those motors are made so nicely it would be a shame not to use them :bawling: . I will post any found information.

My 50 cents....

Hello all,

As a new member on this forum I have been reading alot this easter bunny days
Since I am in the procces off restoring/rebuilding/redesigning an very beat-up Thorens TS165, (Follow the procces on http://www.adservices.nl )I am looking for the answers to my questions.... and I think I found some...but not all... so here comes a series of Newbees Questions

1. Trying to work out if should keep the old motor...but what I aw scared me a little... Some previous owner funbel around with the series resistor Of my motor: It reads on the serial plate 110v/230V 50/60hz.
Can't figure out if my motor is okee.... sure I can run as it is right now but I am a bit reluctant. So can someone post the real resitor and Cap value's so I can restore the original electric's.

2. Has someone already used (liquid) acrylic to deaden the chassis? What were the results?

3. anyone succesfully installed an HD motor in the Thorens TT?

So far my first questions... hope to hear soon...

Kind regards,
Auke Dost

PS sorry for my poor English...

Hello, sorry for the late response. I was out of town. Thanks for suggestions. I will try floppy idea. I have older drive for this purpose. I will still try to pursue HD idea. If it could be done with floppy it should be possible with HD. Those motors are made so nicely it would be a shame not to use them :bawling: . I will post any found information.

HD motors running on high RPM and also they are noisy.:(

Maybe you should get the service manual for the turntable first and look how is the original motor is hooked up, to decide if anything is wrong with it.

Hello all,

As a new member on this forum I have been reading alot this easter bunny days
Since I am in the procces off restoring/rebuilding/redesigning an very beat-up Thorens TS165, (Follow the procces on http://www.adservices.nl )I am looking for the answers to my questions.... and I think I found some...but not all... so here comes a series of Newbees Questions

1. Trying to work out if should keep the old motor...but what I aw scared me a little... Some previous owner funbel around with the series resistor Of my motor: It reads on the serial plate 110v/230V 50/60hz.
Can't figure out if my motor is okee.... sure I can run as it is right now but I am a bit reluctant. So can someone post the real resitor and Cap value's so I can restore the original electric's.

2. Has someone already used (liquid) acrylic to deaden the chassis? What were the results?

3. anyone succesfully installed an HD motor in the Thorens TT?

So far my first questions... hope to hear soon...

Kind regards,
Auke Dost

PS sorry for my poor English...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.