Technics 1210 MK2 Expertise wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I recently purchased a technics 1210 MK2 used from a friend and was unable to test it so I trusted him on its functionality, wrong move.

It seems that the table is not pushing enough sound to mixer/receiver. I have tried it on multiple channels but the sound coming from it is very low. What could be the cause of this? Thanks

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If the table spins, all is fine with the power distribution.
A few other things happen with the 1210's that can lead to your problem.
0) Bad cartridge or needle.
1) RCA plugs.
2) Signal cable.
3) The connections between the arm and the head shell. I frequently encountered problems with concorde-like head shells.
4) It happens that the contacts of the arm are oxidized.
Try cleaning them gently with a cotton stick and alcohol.
5) Worst case is the wiring inside the arm. A new arm is the only solution.

A lot can be measured with a simple ohmmeter.

/Hugo :)

0) Have tested this one
1) The actual plug part or the whole cable? And just replace them to test it?
2) Not sure what this is nor how to test it.
3) Indeed they are concorde-like head shells, Ortofon DJ cartridges.
4) Will try this tonight.
5) Let's hope it's one of the others. ;)

Thanks a lot, I will look into what I can and post an update later.

I successfully replaced the tonearm wiring inside a 1210 a few years ago when I was even more of an amature. :bigeyes: than I am now. I did it as a favour for a friend who was known for his sometimes aggressive nature and physical strength.
Those 1210's are just like those Russian dolls. Layer after layer of stuff till you get to the centre!! He came round half way through the job to see his beloved Technics in a lot of pieces. He seemed a little unconvinced.
Still runs perfectly today 6 years later and I'm still alive. :D

Like Netlist said, Concordes don't always make good electrical connections with the Technics tone arm contacts. Licking the contacts can be a temporary fix, or treating them with Cramolin or Stabilant 22 should provide a more lasting solution.
Can you try another headshell/cartridge combo?

sikniks said:
Hello,

It seems that the table is not pushing enough sound to mixer/receiver. I have tried it on multiple channels but the sound coming from it is very low. What could be the cause of this? Thanks

Check the type & output level of the cartridge you have installed and ensure it is compatible with the PHONO input of your system.
What do you mean by "multiple channels"? You do have a PHONO input???
Modern receivers no longer come with phono capabilities.

Good luck,
fred p.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
In a commercial environment we replace the arm. These things have to be reliable.
I never opened up the arm to see if the problem with the contacts can be cured but as you say, if you can't fix them, you have a problem. I believe you will break the wires if you take off the head shell retainer without unsoldering them on the inside of the turntable.

/Hugo :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.