rega P3 motor- DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm making a DIY TT and am getting close to the finishing stages. Its along the lines of a teres 360.

I need to make a decision soon on the motor. I am looking at 2 choices:

1. Use a floppy disc drive as a motor. I have spare drives and can make up the drive easy.

2. I also have a rega P3 motor ( I bought a P3 TT from ebay for the RB300 arm). As far as I can tell (haven't actually received it yet!) it has a AC synchronous motor. I can build a PS like the Naim armageddon which I've already done for my ariston RD 80 (LP12 clone) with good results. This may be the easier option for me.

So I seek the opinions of those who have experience of either or both of those drive options above..... Which should I go with????

TIA,

Fran

Hi,

your building a turntable and you've bought a P3 ?

As its an AC synchronous motor :
For the P3 motor pulley you need the P3 subplatter,
for the P3 subplatter you need the P3 main bearing.

There was a kit years ago (german I think) that
used all the bits of a P3 to build a Roksan-u-like.
i.e. it consisted of a split plinth with isolators.

:)/sreten.

Hi Sreten,

I know, it sounds confusing. You see what I really wanted was a tonearm.... but when you look on ebay, a tonearm on its own always fetches high money.... So what I did was I bought a P3 turntable that was missing the glass platter and belt, but did have a RB300 arm fitted that was in good nick (I hope). Becasue it looked crap on the auction, it came cheap in the end! So thats how I've ended up with the P3 bearing and motor....

I know about the matching of pulleys, but I can make my own pulley to suit, so that doesn't matter too much.

I've also made my own bearing thats kind of a cross between the well tempered and the teres, actually turned out quite well!

Fran

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.